Diagnosis
09/2016
Country
US
State
Kentucky
City
Somerset
So I am looking for an app to install on my wife's phone that will allow her to alert me if there's an emergency. I work from home but my office is located in a different floor to allow for a quiet environment. I am thinking about getting her an Android watch or something to use for alerts.

Has anyone used anything they would recommend?

Does she have an Android or iPhone? What are her capabilities as far as using the phone?

Get two Amazon Alexa devices. You can then do voice activated Alexa to Alexa calling!

She still has good use of her hands. Her arms are about done but hands are still strong. She has an Android phone and we already have one Alexa device that she uses for voice commanding things around the house. I'll look into the 2 devices. I like that idea.

I use FaceTime to alert my caregivers when I'm outside alone and need help

Yeah I'm thinking the Alexa to Alexa win not work because it will not pick her voice up due to the CPAP mask. I was thinking of a panic button type alert.
FaceTime or something equal may work. Looking into it now.

It may be too early for her to need a call system that doesn't require any reaching, small button pushing, or voice, but you may find something here that will work well now and in the future. http://www.alsfrombothsides.org/call.html ALS From Both Sides: Call Systems for ALS Patients

Last edited by a moderator:
How about something like this:
<Commercial link removed by mod1.

Note I haven't used this product. I just googled panic button.

facetime is an apple app, but android should have something similar

We used a simple wireless door bell that cost $30 I think. Had two wireless buttons and they played different melodies. My wife is not to the point where she cannot push the buttons but for about 6 months it was great.

Interesting that links are being removed...

Well since "mod" doesn't want me to see your recommendations then I'll look into creating an app to do what I need. Wouldn't be the first time. Thanks everyone and God bless.

Interesting that links are being removed...

Well since "mod" doesn't want me to see your recommendations then I'll look into creating an app to do what I need. Wouldn't be the first time. Thanks everyone and God bless.

Actually it isn't interesting. It's SOP, so don't feel picked on.

<commercial link removed by mod> ALS From Both Sides: Call Systems for ALS Patients

What the ... My website is not a commercial link! I don't sell anything! The particular page describes call systems that can be used by people who are severely impaired by ALS. I spent days searching for systems that are adaptable for use with a capability switch.
There are very few such systems out there, and I have done the homework to identify them. The links to those systems are of critical importance -- not everyone has the time to spend combing through the internet to find call systems that actually work for ALS patients. If the monitors are going to remove commercial links, ok. We can do our own googling if a specific product is mentioned. But removing links to ALS websites because they offer links is a step too far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back