Diagnosis
03/2017
Country
US
State
MA
City
Grafton
We decided to spend the money out of pocket for the elevation feature on my Permobil M3 back when it was being ordered (a year ago or 18 mos?). I thought it would be worth having. But even so, I use it way more than I ever imagined I would. For one, my youngest loves sitting on my lap and then going up high. But I also really enjoy being eye level with my husband. I use it all the time to keep him company while he's working in the kitchen. And I find in a restaurant it's much easier to sit at a high table and elevate my chair to the right spot, then to be at a normal table where your knees nnever fit under the table.

Thought I'd share for those who are wondering if it's worth it.

I agree.
At the stage I’m at now, I use this feature to help me get out of the chair to do standing pivot transfers with my walker.
But I thought this feature came standard with Permobil and Quantum chairs. I don’t remember paying extra for it.

We were told insurance doesn't cover it, it's an "extra". So we paid out of pocket for it.

I wasn't even given the option of paying extra for it. I was just told I couldn't have it.

Then I must have paid extra. I couldn’t live without it.

When I got my chair Quantum was including it at no cost. I called Permobil directly and they covered the cost. At the time, the markup on Quantum was higher so the dealer was pushing for a Quantum but I wanted the Permobil. I'm glad I made the call because it was about $2,800 extra, if I remember right.

Even though I've rarely used my PWC, the elevator function is something I'm very glad I have. When I'm walking around Home Depot, sometimes I get tired and have to use their scooters. It's annoying to be ignored. If I had my PWC I could look them in the eye.

The seat elevator should be available for any "complex rehab" power chair (the only category that PALS should have). But it's not free for Permobil or Quantum to add. Some insurers will pay for it, some not. Since it can be at case manager discretion, it's always worth trying and going up the food chain. The funding rationale should be safe transfers/self-/assisted feeding scenarios, etc., i.e. activities of daily living, not anything "non-medical."

Permobil has a foundation that accepts product/feature requests for PALS in need. I have attached the application.

Anterior tilt is another feature that could be very helpful. There are a lot of scenarios, depending on stage/progression, but pressure relief relative to preventing skin injuries is an obvious one from the medical perspective.

Attachments

• INKIND_Product-Application-Revised.pdf
    317 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:
My first wheelchair (Permobil C500s VS) came with seat elevate, which I paid about $2,500 for.

For my most recent wheelchair (Permobil F5) was approved by Medicare and would have come with seat elevate, which I would have had to pay for. However, the out of pocket amount I would have had to pay for various things (standing feature, seat elevate, arm support, etc.) came up to about $18,000. I decided that was ridiculous and purchased a used F5 instead for about $5,000. That used F5 came with seat elevate.

Of my five wheelchairs (One purchased new via insurance and the rest purchased used) all have seat elevate. My Permobil C350 came without seat elevate, but I added seat elevate to the C350 using used parts purchased from ebay. It cost about $300 to do so. There was a bit to figure out, but it was not difficult to do the work (with my able-bodied friend doing all the real work:)).

If at all possible, I would not have a wheelchair that did not have seat elevate! I think that is a double negative:).

Steve

My Permobil corpus 3 came with the elevator for an extra $1500, and I’ve been very happy that I went for it. I use it countless times a day, makes me much more independent than I would be without it.

When we first put the order in for my DH's chair, a Permobil F3, insurance denied the seat elevate function. We (the Dr and I) put in an appeal to the insurance company. The Dr emphasized that DH needed the elevate for ADLs. They approved it within a week. So glad we got it! It doesn't hurt to try - the worst they can say is No.

I just found out through my local ALS care coordinator that the Gleason Foundation will cover the cost of the elevate feature.

My Quantum has the seat lift and the ability to move with elevation which I was told is a newer and great feature. I was told we might have to pay for it, however my insurance covered it. (I was still on private insurance and not yet on medicare.)

I like Nona, was told I couldn't have it, and was never offered an out of pocket option. I don't suppose it could be retrofitted?

It could be retrofitted if you're willing to pay, not sure of the cost of labor + the parts. Since you are kind of between WI and MI, I would look at all DMEs in your network, and consult the major academic medical centers with SCI clinics (more experienced with wheelchair stuff than many ALS clinics) to see if there is a reasonable local DME option.

Last edited:
All of my wheelchairs now have seat elevate. Two originally did not come that way from the factory.

I added seat elevate to my Permobil C350, which did not come with seat elevate from the factory. I did a bit of research to identify which parts I needed, bought used parts from ebay, and then had my friend install them. We needed to change a few parameters in the electronics (requires a programmer tool, but easy to do). The total cost to do this was less than $300. It took about 2 hours to do the work.

The Permobil F5 I bought used did not come with seat elevate from the factory. The previous owner paid to have seat elevate added by their DME (probably NuMotion, but I can't remember for sure). They told me that it cost many thousands of dollars to do so.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back