Effervescent N-Acetylcysteine, does it work for dry mouth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarenNWendyn

Forum Supporter
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
07/2017
Country
US
State
OR
City
Southern Oregon
N-Acetylcysteine (NAC). I first learned of its use for treating Acetaminophen overdose. It thins out respiratory secretions by breaking up disulfide bonds in mucus.

Many PALS use this to thin out mucus. My clinic nurse recommended it for my really horrendous dry mouth. Has anyone here heard of using it for dry mouth? Or maybe I should ask if you take it for secretions, does it keep your mouth moist? I know many people take it as a supplement to support “brain and liver health”, but I’ve not seen mention of using it for dry mouth. Some people here recommended the effervescent formula which could be put down a G tube.

I noticed that NAC can be bought over the counter. There are many brands, and it comes as both tablets and capsules. Is there a specific brand that is effervescent? Or are any of the capsules or tablets effervescent if dissolved in water? I ran a search on this forum but couldn’t find those specific answers. One person several years ago recommended a brand that has been discontinued.

I have two boxes that I would be happy to send to you. I bought them for my husband but he only used them for a week or so. I think they were about $40 so it’s worth a try? They aren’t being used here.

Message sent. To others, I’ve found the NAC tablets mildly effective, but it’s still an improvement from before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back