Diagnosis
4/2016
Country
US
State
GA
City
Roswell
I have both. Anyone have solution on eczema?

If you can connect any medications or supplements with onset of the rash, then going off these medications or supplements is worth trying.

Use of cortisone cream can help if we are talking about small areas of eczema.

Of course if things don’t improve, see your primary doctor or a dermatologist.

Occasionally fungal rashes and other skin conditions can be mistaken for eczema, so it’s important to get things checked out if they persist. Fungal rashes often show up in skin folds where sweat and moisture can collect, such as in the groin, armpits, under breasts, or under abdominal folds. If you see redness in those areas, then it’s worthwhile trying Lotrimin cream or athlete’s foot antifungal medications. I should add you don’t want to use cortisone cream on fungal rashes because it can make them worse. When in doubt, see a doctor.

Last edited:
Have you been tested for allergies? Grandson's eczema is worse when he eats foods he's tested as allergic to. For him shrimp has been a favorite food since childhood and he devoured whole plates of it. Now that he usually avoids it he can really tell how much it affects his eruptions when he eats it.

Go to the Body Shop and buy hemp body cream. It has a strong hemp oil smell, but nothing beats it for eczema.
Vincent

Moo Goo - magical stuff. If things are bad tho a bit of cortisone will help too.
Are you sure it is eczema and not fungal? Moo Goo will help that too.

so I have eczema on chest, back, nostrils, ears, eye brows, eye lashes and face

I have a prescription steroid cream, but really I need a gallon.

Reason for posting was to see if other PALS had it.

most PALS go through a lot of skin issues - itchy, scaly patches, sometimes red.
The steroid creams need to be applied in very small amounts.
What you could try in between is something like Moo Goo or coconut oil
I did ask about if it is definitely eczema because PALS seem to get lots of fungal things and they look and behave like eczema.
For my Chris, the skin stuff started well before he was even diagnosed and slowly worsened as things went along.
We even had to use anti-fungal shampoo.

J, my husband (PALS) had eczema and extremely dry skin before ALS but during his skin went completely out of control. He had a severe skin reaction from an antibiotic and combined with the eczema his back, arms, face were covered with rashes and his itching was so bad he would bleed from scratching. It literally took us a year to get it under control.

Long story short, with a lot of trial and error, doctor switched some meds that could add to the itching, used only clothes detergent for sensitive skin and no fragrance, tried to minimize sweet accumulation with all cotton clothes, sheepskin on bed and back of any chair, gently washed back and arms with warm water and applied a baby eczema moisturizer 3 X day. Once it calmed down we washed and lotioned 2X day.

The doctor also had us give him Benadryl at the beginning when it was at its worst, for some reason that I don't remember he didn't want us to use cortisone cream. I researched a lot of skin products and on the Ecxema Society's website found that EXEDERM had no known irritants, surprisingly many well known eczema products do! We used only products from this company, their baby shampoo, body wash, and moisturizer from there on out and it stayed under control.

As Karen said, it's always best to see a doctor to make sure what it is, sometimes it's hard to tell what you're dealing with. My PALS also had fungal issues on occasion. Did you have eczema before ALS? I hope you can find relief, Kate

I use Desinide for my problem and it works great for me. YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back