03/2018
Country
CA
State
ON
City
Thornhill
Hi all,

I recently purchased a wireless doorbell that rings upstairs so my father could call us when in need. It has become increasingly hard for him to press the button. Does anyone know if there are “easy to press” call systems available? Keep in mind I am in Toronto, Canada.

My sister had an alarm that was activated by pressure. At first she could move her arm enough to trigger but later she had positioned near her foot. There are other options but this worked well and was definitely loud enough to be heard even several rooms away

Would Alexa be of help? Can he still speak?

It’s strange....his speech is not slurred but his voice level is very low. Any reason why this would happen?

Ability switch sensors can be placed on the cheek, chin, hip, forehead, just to name a few -- anywhere a muscle can reliably twitch. The switch is then connected to a switch-operated chime that is freestanding/battery-operated, or an iOS interface like the Tecla, or if there is head movement, iOS can be set to use that directly. If a computer/laptop is easier, a mounted tongue mouse or head mouse are other options.

The low voice can happen, depending on which muscles are affected and just overall fatigue. Apart from operating switches, just to communicate better, he could wear a personal voice amplifier around his neck and/or attached to the bed.

Enabling Devices has a large variety of "ability switches" that are easy to press and positionable anywhere the PALS has minimal movement. They connect to a "switch adapted" call system from Adaptive Tech. The system consists of a transmitter for the PALS and a wireless receiver for the caregiver to clip on. The range of the transmitter varies by model. The caregiver can set it to ring or to vibrate (when in a noisy environment). One system offers simple wall plug-in receivers for as many rooms as you want extra receivers for. The combination of ability switch and transmitter and receiver gives the PALS easy use and the caregiver the freedom to be anywhere in range and always hear the PALS alarm. See ALS Patient Care From Both Sides: Call Systems for ALS Patients for a comparison of the systems and links.

Hi Karzy,

My wife went through all the stages of ability to communicate with me in the middle of the night...down to the point where she couldn't express her needs by pressing anything. Ultimately, the only solution was placing her Tobii Dynavox EyeGaze device (rings alarm, or types message with eyes) in front of her face every night. Subsequently, and for well over a year, she has been able to awaken me as often as necessary...problem solved. I don't know if you have a Tobii, or if you can access one, but we found that to be the optimal/only solution. I sleep in the same room as her, so you might try a baby monitor to hear the alarm in another bedroom.

Hope that helps!

Hi Karzy, regarding your Dads " low voice " , there are voice amplifiers that can be purchased that help with that. A PALS I knew used one and it really helped to hear him and according to him, saved him a lot of energy. Here's a link to The Children's Hospital's Augmentative Communication Dept. on voice amplifiers for ALS. Kate

If he has a speech generating device, a baby monitor is all you need. If you don't, windows 10 has an indwelling eye gaze app built right in. All you need to activate the app is a Tobii eyetracker 4c camera ($150 USD). The program has a text to speech app that you can use to call someone on the baby monitor. The nice thing is the computer starts as soon as the camera picks up movement. Or speak to Brandon in the ACC clinic next time you are at Sunnybrook. I;ll be there on the 20th.
Vincent

Thank you everyone. You have been a great help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back