Diagnosis
12/2014
Country
US
State
PA
City
Lancaster
Hi I was wondering if in the years prior to suspecting that you had a major problem (that was later diagnosed as ALS) if you noticed more frequent bouts of illness?

For example I got bronchitis or pneumonia at least once a year and a cold or two in addition, for 10+ years prior to having breathing issues, that led me to the doctors and almost two years later to my diagnosis.

If so what type of symptoms and where did your ALS first present?

Thanks for the information, my wife is curios as she is try to draw some connections.

My PALS was quite healthy and even athletic before she got ALS.

Her first symptom was a foot drop.

My pals was also in great health. First symptom was swallowing difficulty- 2 years prior to diagnosis.

Foot drop and balance about 3 years prior to diagnosis. Nasally and slow speech about 2 years prior.
I had a major shoulder rebuild about 2 years prior, from a fall. I was on pain killers and Ambien for about 3-4 months after the surgery, I really thought things started to accelerate after that.

Healthy as a horse prior.
Cramping and later foot drop were first symptoms.

Pretty healthy and active till I had prostate surgery. Several months after, I started with cramps and thought it was my cholesterol medication. Stopped the medicine and they continued. Then the fasciculations and noticed the weakness when I couldn't do my normal workout routine.
I've often wondered if the stress from the prostate cancer had anything to do with this. Rarely ever got a cold or sick most of my life!

really healthy and active then got flu,bronchitis, sinus infection all at once in jan 2014 after that in june 14 i started to notice hands not working well then by11-14 first words from dr. that it could be the nightmare and than 2-15 official but really it's not even my interest to know why at this point only to accept.

Still an undecided diagnosis BTW, but lumbar fusion surgery was less an a year before first hand issues

Healthy and active. Started having heavy night sweats and strong fasiculations (mostly on my back). Also noticed a balance problem when closing my eyes while in the shower. Can't say these were ALS symptoms but they are the reasons for seeking medical treatment which led to diagnosis six or so months later. I was blessed with an early diagnosis. Had been taking statins for a year or so before symptoms appeared.

Healthy and active. Started having heavy night sweats and strong fasiculations (mostly on my back).

I had heavy night sweats also. About six months before diagnosis. I forgot about that till you mentioned it. I would wake up drenched. I went to my primary Dr, she mentioned lymphoma, had blood tests done and all negative.
At the same appointment, she said " wow, you sure have brisk reflexes ". She didn't address that. She's no longer my Dr!

My PALS developed horrible shingles after taking statins for about three months. He recovered from shingles but never felt 100% again. Shortly thereafter he started jerking in his sleep to the point of keeping me awake. A few months after that he was diagnosed with cubital tunnel syndrome in his elbow due to weakness in fingers. Surgery was done and was initially successful. Two or three months after surgery he developed foot drop. It didn't take very long after foot drop to get a diagnosis. I feel strongly statins were the catalyst. Prior to taking them he was very healthy. He wasn't athletic or health conscious persay, but he was healthy and rarely visited the md.

my husband was never sick before. still very healthy (except for that pesky ALS)

We are a small sample but every time this question is asked the consensus is there is no consensus. Here and elsewhere. Researchers have tried to find commonalities but seem to have failed. I have heard the statin thing a fair amount but probably not out of proportion when you consider the large number of people who take them, especially in the group that is also well represented in ALS ( middleaged [sorry guys!] Males)
Healthy here as were my sister and my other relatives

The risk factors that seem to be agreed upon : military service, cigarette use and high level contact sports

High level exercise of other types is under discussion but not agreed upon

What I am hearing more and more is the theory that some people have a genetic predisposition that is not as obviously causative as FALS that comes out either after the right trigger or triggers.
Unfortunately once we have ALS unless understanding the cause or trigger gives you an idea of a therapy knowing or guessing why is not going to help.

I find it interesting to see others had terrible night sweats too. I had drenching night sweats for four months prior to experiencing any other symptoms. At one stage my doctor suspected lymphoma too.

I had a horrible virus, then sinus infection, tick bite and then a really bad throat infection all in the 6 months prior to symptoms starting. Was also on Lozartan (BP meds) which I quit after the symptoms became apparent that they weren't just one-off thing. Discontinuing that provided an immediate improvement in my hand strength.

I also had a cold during December where I took cold medicine containing dextromorphran and my speech/swallowing improved dramatically which led me to research it and get on the nuedexta.

Prior to that I was healthy as a horse. Worked out, played competitive softball, golf (walked the course) 3+ days per week... Was in the best shape of my life except for when I boxed in college.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back