Honey

Country
UK
State
Lincolnshire
City
Grimsby
MND bulbar symptoms?

My father died just over a year ago from MND, his symptoms started with muscle weakness and a drop foot. I'm getting some strange symptoms and am wondering if they could be the first symptoms of bulbar onset MND. Over the past year I have episodes of great difficulty clearing my throat and finding it difficult to swallow what collects at the back of my throat (often feeling stuck and not able to swallow it). The only thing that works is very loudly trying to get it clear - it sounds really awful and when it's stuck at the back of my throat can affect my speech until I bark away trying to clear it. Recently I have started to get a small patch of skin in almost in the middle (slightly to the left) of my upper back (just below my neck) that has a strange crawling feeling. I haven't felt any obvious muscle weakness and apart from these symptoms feel well, though have been having lots of word finding difficulties which my doctor puts down to my age (51) I did have a brain MRI about a year ago which did not identify any problems- can cognitive problems be a symptom? Is there anyone who knows about bulbar onset symptoms and if I should be concerned?

My father died just over a year ago from MND, his symptoms started with muscle weakness and a drop foot. I'm getting some strange symptoms and am wondering if they could be the first symptoms of PBP. Over the past year I have episodes of great difficulty clearing my throat and finding it difficult to swallow what collects at the back of my throat (often feeling unable swallow it and just feeling it there). The only thing that works is very loudly trying to get it clear - it sounds really awful and when it's stuck at the back of my throat can affect my speech until I hack away trying to clear it. I can't seem to cough as well as I could. Recently I have also started to get a small patch of skin in almost in the middle (slightly to the left) of my upper back (just below my neck) that has a strange crawling feeling. I haven't felt any obvious muscle weakness and apart from these symptoms feel well, though have been having lots of word finding difficulties which my doctor puts down to my age (51) I did have a brain MRI about a year ago which did not identify any problems- can cognitive problems be a symptom? Is there anyone who knows about initial symptoms and if these are anything I ought to be concerned about?

Everyone is different with PBP symptoms I lost my nerves in my tongue, my mri is normal too. yes you should be concerned because of possible chocking find a als treatment site and go there as soon as you can.

I have been ignoring the symptoms really, not wanting to consider the possibility of what they might mean. But I will be sensible and follow it up now, thank you.

Re: MND bulbar symptoms?

The crawling feeling can commonly caused by a pinched nerve in your neck. What does your doctor suspect ot wrong?

Honey, you seem to have posted this question twice. It will get confusing and people will repeat what's already been said. Maybe the moderators can combine it?

Honey, poor thing. My dad passed from bulbar. About a year after he passed, I was loosing my voice, it was coming in and out. I was freaking out. I did not go to the DR. right away. I figured if I had Bulbar like my dad .... i did not want to know. Then after about 6 months and many night of no sleep, looking at my kids, I finially went to the E.N.T. Doc. He knew my dad and my concerns' After putting a scope down my throat(don't hurt) he said it was GRUD/ Acid reflux. From a cold I had like 6 months before. I had imflamation in my voice box that was being flared up by the acid reflux. I did not even know I had, never had heart burn or nothing. He put me on O.T.C. Zantac, now I also take nexium to heal it. Don't worry til it is time to worry. All those sleepless nights for no reason. I hope this helps, good luck to you and let us know...

Thank you Tammyg, you're right - I think it's just the fear that the same thing could be happening to you. I think we just need to live and enjoy the life we have and stop worrying what might be. As you say there'll be plenty time to worry in the future if I have to. You have helped and I will let you know what happens... thanks.

I haven't been to the GP as I didn't want to have it investigated in case it was what I didn't want to hear, but i will go as I'm sure there are many other things could be causing these symptoms, such as a pinched nerve - just think the worse because of my dad. Thanks Alyoop

Honey, that's understandable. Good on you for going to the doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back