Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
OH
Hi, I’m a 34 yo male. I have read the “read before posting” several times as it helps alleviate some anxiety. But I thought I’d go ahead and ask some questions. Been having some anxiety since right after Christmas, as I was worried about some itchy skin that didn’t feel like normal dryness that can come with winter. Had every blood test they offered, and came back normal, so my anxiety subsided and itching seemed to get better too. But then I started getting really fatigued legs. Like it felt like I had been walking for miles. I thought this was from the gym, so I stopped leg day and the fatigue never went away. Then I started getting some muscle twitching. 99% of them below the waist. Along with this, I noticed I dropped my keys a lot, or my AirPods, or my phone would slip as I reached for it. But this isn’t constant, like I can grab my phone as I went back for it or I can put my AirPods in most of the time, they were just slipping now and then. I also went to pick something up on the steps and slipped down the stairs. I also started noticing some dull cramps in my palm and in my foot.

So I read the “read before posting” thread and have questions in regards to my symptoms.

Mainly on failing not feeling/pain: so many people with als have said they first noticed a hand cramp or shoulder pain. Is this because certain muscles turn off and the hand compensates and you start using muscles you never used? My hand cramping has mostly gone away but I do feel it every once in awhile, and fingers feels stiff, but I swear it feels like I have all the movement that I ask for, so that’s kinda weird. Also in regards to walking, a lot of people say they trip or stumble, I do think I can walk normal, but I will occasionally drag my heel or toe. I won’t fall over but definitely trip myself up a touch and curious if I just changed my walking pattern to use different muscles. But again, I can stand on my toes and heels, so what other muscles could be tripping me up?

TL;DR: some symptoms (twitching, tripping, dropping stuff) but feel like I can do all movements my brain asks for. The “read before posting” has helped me but concerned that so many people say first signs are what I’m noticing too

muscle cramps are common and non specific as are twitches. The etiology of cramping in ALS is believe to be a distress call from dying motor neurons.

everyone drops things and stumbles on occasion and the more you think about it the more you will. The thing to note is ALS doesn’t start in multiple places. An early sign might be consistently tripping over one foot OR something slipping from one hand over and over not problems with hands and feet here and there with no failure at all.

if you have worrying symptoms please see your doctor

Just a note. I find it interesting the number of posters in their 20s,
30s and some even in their teens come here in fear of having ALS.
ALS is a rare disease. But yet, the number of posters in their late
40s, 50s, 60s and 70s are seemingly few… where the higher odds
for ALS is known to manifest.

I blame Dr. Google and posters do not read “Read Before Posting”
stickie at the top of the sub-forum. Or they skim read it not
sentence for sentence.

There are many causes for Health Anxiety from vaping to energy
drinks, others and denial… “I’m not an anxious person” Really?
Why are you posting here? Thread titles, “Having fear of ALS”
“Almost sure I have ALS” “My symptoms point to ALS” and
others similar.

Then, those who do not believe their PCP and some doubt their
Neurologist and even EMG results (Summary/Conclusion).
This forum has extremely ALS knowledgeable members who
reply with their knowledge trying to assure them their symptoms
do not relate to ALS… even that don’t work so often.

Also those with long detailed, several paragraph threads of
symptoms who have yet to be seen by a doctor.. Stunning.

Work with your doctors and trust… do not trust Dr. Google.

Thanks for the reply, really. To be clear, I have seen a doctor, several times. Referred to a neurologist, but not scheduled yet. Also starting to see a therapist on 4/18. So, I’m not unwilling to see a doctor, and I’ve tried to read everything on this forum before posting my own thread. But I was very curious to the failing part since the early signs are so subtle. Not meaning to waste anyone’s time, I know the doctor is the best course of action, and
I’m doing all that I can. Just also trying to relieve worry until I can see them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back