Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
WA
City
Seattle
While not conducted in ALS, this small study of healthy volunteers, complemented by work in some of the other dz states mentioned below, suggests that early BiPAP might help protect neurons. BDNF administration was tried and failed in ALS, but seemingly for reasons more related to the difficulty in getting it into the CNS.
-------
Background
Brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) has been implicated in enhancing neuronal health. Exercise and noninvasive-positive-pressure-ventilation (NPPV) are known to independently alter BDNF levels in patients with depression, dementia, type 2 diabetes, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and obstructive sleep apnea syndrome. However, the combined effects of exercise and NPPV on serum BDNF in normal subjects are unknown.

Objective
To determine the effects of the combination of acute aerobic exercise under NPPV on serum BDNF in normal adults.

Design
Cross-over design study.

Setting
Wakayama Medical University.

Participants
Ten healthy young men.

Intervention
The subjects exercised on a cycle ergometer at 60% of pre-training maximal oxygen uptake (VO2max) for 30 min daily for 5 consecutive days with/without NPPV (12 cmH2O). The 5-day exercise protocol was repeated after a three-week washout period without/with NPPV.

Main Outcome Measurements
Serum BDNF, plasma cortisol, and platelet, lymphocyte and monocyte counts were measured at 24 hour before the first day exercise with/without NPPV and 24 hour after last day exercise with/without NPPV at resting condition. Measurements were also made on the first day exercise; serum BDNF level was measured immediately before and immediately after exercise, as well as at 1, 2 and 3 hours after exercise with/without NPPV.

Results
The 5-day exercise protocol significantly (P<.05) increased serum BDNF when combined with NPPV, but not without NPPV, did not change plasma cortisol level, platelet or lymphocyte counts, with/without NPPV. The 5-day exercise protocol also significantly (P<.05) decreased monocyte count without NPPV, but not with NPPV, relative to baseline. Changes noticed immediately after first day exercise included significant (P<.05) increase in serum BDNF compared with immediately before the exercise, with/without NPPV.

Conclusions
The results indicated that 5-day exercise protocol combined with NPPV increased serum BDNF, suggesting that NPPV synergistically enhances the effect of aerobic exercise on serum BDNF level.

So, those of us who resist BiPap until it's desperately needed could be doing actual harm.

Thnx

If you scroll down on this link there is a study on PALS supporting this. I don't think it is published- at least I could not find it
The ALS Association

I got mine proactively because I figured it would stave off the need to have one.

Oh, there is a fair amount of research in PALS to support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back