Not open for further replies.

NeverPan

Country
US
State
ohio
City
Mansfield
OK..so as of now many of you have read my neverending story....and the saga continues. Let not talk ALS, but instead go with today's fact. I have been diagnosed with Dysphagia. Completed and Esophagram last week, got the news today. Oh these are troublesome times.... is this good, bad or possibly misleading in a diag? Where to go...what to do...

My husband came to the nursing home with dysphagia, and is on a vent 24/7. He gets several nebulizer treatments , lung suction as needed, and 2 cough assist treatments per day. he can no longer take anything by mouth because he gets aspiration pneumonia. We were hoping he could come home, but he had another breathing crisis today and had another trach change.

Dysphagia is never good - one would always prefer to be able to eat and swallow properly. But lots of things cause it, so it's not very helpful if you're looking for a diagnosis.

Thanks Tokahfang, It's been problematic, mostly liquids and frequent choking on just the smallest sips sometimes. Went to ENT, and he spayed my throat then did a visual exam said he sees slight atrophy of the vocal folds. This is what sent me in for the Ensophagram. Still not freaking out. Come what may, will deal with it.

Did you get a berrium swallow study? Did your doctor or the technician conducting the study comment on the results?

Neverpan, they sell thickening powder to make it easier to swallow your necessary liquids, things like Nestle's Thicken Up.

Luke, Yes I did a complete berrium liquid and coated eggs (of some sort) Then some for of crystals that poped and fizzed. The hospital that conducted the study, had a phy perform and no comments were made at the time. Indicated that after exam results would be sent to ordering Doc.

Tokahfang, Thank you for the input. I guess as things change it's difficult to accept that change and that maybe some sort of assist will be needed with something that seems it shoudl be so easy and natual . I will check into the product you mention.....best wishes.

I digress... Luke, My ENT's office contacted me and asked that I come in, Doc indicated Dysphasia and confirmed vocal atrophy (voice is Nasal and hoarse/gravely). He recommended a speech therapist. Doctor's concern was the underlying cause and recommended a Neuro as well. ( I can't seem to get away from these Neuro referrals) I advised of a pending appt. with Ohio State University in Oct. He felt that was the right course as he knew the clinic and feels confident that they can locate a possible root cause of the issue what ever that may be. He did not want anymore testing since he sees visual atrophy of the vocal folds, as this is also causing a breathy sound as I tire during long converstations Pitch/volume issues are ongoing. Hopefully this will help in some way.. I guess we don't easily accept change as we age, but know it happens to all of us.

Hello Geezer, thank you for sharing. I pray that he gets to come home, time spent where you love to be is invaluable. best wishes to you and your family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back