Diagnosis
02/2011
Country
US
State
GA
City
Gwinnett
My husband had his second consult with the Speech Therapist today. We looked at the Eye Gaze technology of the DynaVox equipment along with the Tobii c15. The Tobii seemed harder to calibrate and we were also told that by our palliative nurse who had one patient having difficulty with calibration.

Pros and Cons from any PALS that currently use this equipment.

Thanks for your wise advice. Obviously, I need equipment that will be easy for both of us to set up and use.

My learning curve is reaching its max between the bi-pap, cough assist, suction machine, power chair with the attendant switch, hospital bed and hoyer lift. Thank God for this equipment. It has enabled him to still be here at home and save my aching back up to this point

Doesn't the Tobii have the option of headmouse technology with that system? Would that be viable? I know Don never could get the hang of the calibration with the eyegaze technology.

My husband has Tobii C15 and we have no problems with recalibration. We recalibrate it often depending on the position Mark is using it. Sometimes he uses is when he is lay down and other times when sat bolt upright in his day chair. But to be fair, he has never tried a Dynavox.

It is important to recalibrate when fully alert, not good to try doing when tired.

Just curious... does he wear glasses?

I've been trying out an older Dynavox and a Tobii C12. On the Dynavox, the actual camera picture is very useful to make sure glasses reflections are not in the way. The Tobii is much harder to tell based on looking at the white dots. I could somewhat infer it was having reflection trouble based on seeing the white dots flicker in the status box when moving my head just a little bit in the area my eyes would still be in.

Brian

Yes, he does wear glasses and she told us that might be a problem especially with metal frames. We were going to get new frames.

My Mark wears glasses which dont cause a problem but the flickering of the white dots on tracking can also mean that light surrounding the eyegaze is bouncing off. We found the best way to calibrate is in daytime but with the blinds pulled to make sure no bright light causing reflection.

Just on a side note, even though my PALS can no longer use the eyegaze on the Tobii at all due to loss of tracking with his eyes, as he got weaker with the eyes I was able to calibrate it with my eyes and it still worked when he focused on the alarm screen.

I have a Dynavox if you get connected to internet Dynavox will do everything for you are walk you through what ever you need done. They will take control of your computer and they will fix it were you can operate your TV and your phone. Now if you can't get wireless to work you can run a internet cable from one computer to the other one. right now I have a problem with my wireless so I have a cable In the floor, but it's my floor and as long as my husband can remember it there wouldn't want him to break another hip. I also put a dot on my glasses and my mask we tape this one on using scott tape it didn't stick as good on plastic as it does glass

Hi,

I have both the C15 and a dynavox. Glasses can be an issue with reflection. As to calibration, both units have options for different number of targets and ability to track just one eye.

I use my C15 almost exclusively. I find the 15" screen much easier on the eyes. If your husband uses a pc for internet and uses windows programs a lot, tobii has a superior interface. If the system will be used primarily for communication, the ease of dynavox calibration is the way to go.

The best advice I can give you is ask each rep to provide a 30 day in home trial. That way your husband will have adequate time to get comfortable with the advantages/disadvantages each has to offer.

Thanks for your input. Tobii was already ordered and my husban is a PC person so I think that was the way to go for us. They also assured us that we would get great customer service from the rep in our area. I looked up training videos on their home page and will take a look at them before delivery.

if you need any user input your husband is welcome to email me. I use the C15 14+ hours a day. Tobii was a good choice for a PC person.

Yes, and Tobii took control of my system a few times and fixed a number of issues wirelessly. It was really interesting for me to watch. They were quite helpful and had a number of good AT suggestions.

Its nice to hear of something helpful that's working for someone

I have worked with 5 ALS patients and 4 of them used Dynavox. Dynavox let's you calibrate with the glasses on and a separate calibration with glasses off.

The Dynavox vmax I have takles about 4 to 4 and a half minutes from power on before ready for use, windows xp is its platform

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back