Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Columbus
I had a clean EMG visit to the neuro. My muscle velocity times were all within range of normal, and my reflexes were good as well as my strength tests. She said I had no elevated levels of ? (I forgot what its called) that would indicate NMD or ALS. All waves were positive sharp waves and looked fine.

I returned home and continued to worry about ALS because the cramping and twitching was still there.

It turns out I was diagnosed with lyme disease less than two weeks ago and it was in between stage I and II, but I am still very scared of ALS and that the lyme is a correlation to ALS that will develop. I have foot arch cramping and left leg irritation, as well as fascs in those areas, also have some left hand cramping and left arm pain. I started doxycycline that day (will be 2 weeks ago this monday).

I have some concerns that lead me back to ALS fears:

--My voice has been cracking the past few months for no reason, like a young man in puberty stages.

--My gums bleed after I brush my teeth i the morning. Not visible amounts, but I can taste a hint of it.

--The left foot arch cramping, muscle left leg irritated, the fasiculations, and being bothered on my left side in general. Left shoulder joint pain, left hand cramping and left arm muscle pain.

--I have heard of many people correlating Lyme to trigger ALS or the two being related. I am worried that basically, Lyme was not good news in regards to my fear of having ALS.

--My GP said yesterday in regards to my left side bothering me that typically with lymes both sides are affected. Other than when I first noticed the overall flu-like soreness; primarily my left side has been the bother. At first onset it seemed everything hurt.

*First few days on doxycycline I felt better and pain and muscle ache reduced, but now it is back as is the cramping in my left foot arch. I know this could be a Herxheimer reaction, sometimes 'Herxing' occurs when the toxins in the body are being killed off and you actually relapse. The past 3 or 4 days I've been feeling worse even continuing with the antibiotic treatment.

I am afraid that ALS will develop or already is and just isn't being seen. I know this could be a herxheimer reaction also which is what I'm hoping. Still scared of ALS though. let me know your thoughts thank you.

Clint,
I'm sorry for the fears you have about ALS with regard to your symptoms.
I would caution you about going too far with your thinking particularly since you're less than two weeks into your Lyme Disease diagnosis. Your EMG was clean and the other tests were normal.
Give yourself time to throw the Lyme Disease off. It's not going to happen overnight. The recovery time can take quite awhile.
Take care and concentrate on getting adequate rest and taking whatever steps are necessary to regain your health. I wish you well.
Best wishes,
Jane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back