Diagnosis
03/2018
Country
NL
State
LB
City
Ittervoort
How wonderful that there is a forum of hope here! My dealings with MND are also one of hope, looking ahead and putting things into perspective. Not that it always works out, of course, but usually it does. Sometimes to such an extent that my immediate surroundings sometimes wondered; "does René really realize the seriousness of the disease?"

With a positive mindset I joined this forum , and thought: "then I will post my first message in this forum of hope". I live in the Netherlands and hopefully this is not disturbing for the other members? After all, it is not that 'different' here, and ALS knows no boundaries.

To carry out my hopes, not just for myself, I am a member of some patient associations, and I have helped with monetary donations. Recently I wrote a book with all my blogs in it, with the proceeds for charity. I not only hope, but I am sure, that there will be many medical breakthroughs within ten years. Especially in terms of genetics.

I read a lot of great stories about traveling here. In my case, my wife and I travelled a lot in Europe, and although that has become more difficult, we were in the mountains of Austria last year. This just in time, because now a mountain hike would no longer go.

But big trips or challenges are no longer necessary. You will recognize that you are starting to appreciate more and more small things. A simple day out, a picturesque village, a garden full of birds, butterflies and bees, sunlight, and you name it, now give me as much hope and blessings as in the past great travels, career and material possessions this gave. There is also a lot of power and hope in simplicity.

Regards

René

Hi Rene,

Thank you for posting. I, too, find gratitude in the small things. Going in the pool, playing cards with friends, and even something like a good television series. I enjoy my dog. I keep in touch with relatives on Facebook and by email.

• Love
Reactions: MJT
Rene. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. My husband Tom and I realized we could no longer travel to Europe after his dx. We cancelled several river cruises planned for 2023. But we still ventured out to explore. We visited a local canal museum and rode on a river boat pulled by mules. We took a tourist boat around Manhattan. We enjoyed just walking the dog in our neighborhood. We can no longer do these simple things, since Tom has declined.

We visited the Netherlands a few years ago. We enjoyed being tourists in Amsterdam. We loved the Rijksmuseum so much, we went twice. Of course we went to the Anne Frank house. We ventured out of the city on a few day trips. And went on several canal boat trips. We only absorbed a bit of the rich history of the Netherlands, and appreciated the culture and people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back