dry mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mary Helen Barr

Do any of the PALS get dry mouth? My father's mouth is so dry, he's often so thirsty, and just wants a drink to wet his mouth. I have always read that drooling is a problem with ALS. He doesn't usually have that problem, just the dryness. He has always been a mouth breather, and maybe that is why.

Hi,

I can only relate my experience. There's proably multiple factors to look at b4 you can find something to help.

We changed drug stores last year & the Baclofen at the new pharmacy was from a different company. My mouth never had a lack of salava b4 but did on that mixture--but only in bed--not upright & awake. It was so bad I got them to take it back ( refund it ) and changed back to old place for that prescription. That worked for a while.

Problem is back. Teeth bleed at gums from dryness. For some reason exhales sometimes hit brick wall on way out & I open mouth or they exit from mouth unexpectly--then mouth opens & drys from air moving past it as salava on strike. Dr. no help on this, they just listen & shrug. Seasonal allergy medicine makes it all worse.

When I sleep on the left side for some reason the saliva still flows. I found an oncology mouth rinse that helps as long as the mouth is closed most of time. It is Prevention brand 1-800-473-1205. Walgreens in the states has it. Chewing gum is a new habit as it helps.

Wish I knew more to suggest. Good luck.

Kath

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back