02/2015
Country
US
State
wv.
City
renick
Does anyone have this issue?

The perfect storm of atropine (mucus) Benadryl (sleep) our heating system, learning how to stay hydrated with feeding tube plus slight air leak of my trilogy mask going right to my eyes.

Another sh*t storm side adventure to the nightmare.

I use lots of eye drops and steam my face to get my eyes to stop burning with only temporary relief.

Love you all
Chally

yes yes yes !

makes tough to eyegaze. Use drops is only solution I've found. . And staying hydrated!.

just one more thing for daily sh*t storm

Yes, but my dry eyes started before ALS.

Artificial tears — use brands that do not have preservatives.

There are gels that can be put in the eyes at night, such as Lacrilube.

The other thing that helps me is to heat a damp washcloth in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Place it over the eyes as a compress (after it has cooled down for a few seconds) and leave it covering the eyes for a few minutes. If someone can gently massage the eyes through the compress, this helps stimulate oil glands in the eyelids which helps lubrication. Good to do this a couple times a day or as needed.

Ugh! More sh*t for sure.

I use a combination of what others have said. In the morning my wife or caregiver puts a warm washcloth over my eyes to get the glands flowing. If I have acid tears then Visine or saline to flush them out. Then gel drops applied over the course of the day.

Genteal drops (marked "moderate" or "severe") during the day, and everything Karen/Kay said.

Mask fit changes -- consider different size/different mask? NexMed tape on the nose bridge?

Visine is in the preservative category, from what I remember, Brad, and could be more irritating.

The heating system -- the MERV value of the filters you use may make a difference for some people because they affect air flow. Higher MERV, lower flow but more particles are trapped. If you get more irritated with the furnace kicking off and on, try to get the temp set and filter type to be less off and on.

I use Bausch & Lomb Soothe Preservative Free Lubricant Eye Drops. You'll need to use it several times a day.

If nothing works, there are prescription eye drops but not without side effects.

Do you have a humidifier in your room?

In Florida, humidifying just means opening the window.

Tighten the mask down really tight. Mine leaves marks on my face from the straps. Just fixing the leaks should go a long way to fixing things.
Vincent

Remember too extensive computer/ screen time will exacerbate this. Look away and blink deliberately several times frequently.

Like Karen I had dry eye before too

But in terms of tightening the straps, you want a "forgiving" seal to minimize leaks and noise. When you put the mask on, before tightening the straps, let the suction position it on your face. It's like when you are turning a screw that has to go one way and then the other until it threads through.

Check the humidity in your house. I try to keep mine not lower than 35 and higher is better. When in Florida I had it around 50. With heat on in the North I have a humidifier on the furnace.

Thanks everyone for the great tips.

I do use a humidifier and it helps,just got the gels .

Love ya chally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back