ga
City
atlanta
I am curious.....

what are people using for the following side effects of PLS:

1) Drooling

2) Incontinence

3) Insomnia

Thanks again for any info. My 80 year old father was recently diagnosed and I am trying to gather some information.

Rebecca

Hi Rebecca, sorry I am not going to be much help. My husband has preliminary diagnosed of PLS. No drooling, but does have insomnia which he just deals with it. As for incontinence, he doesn't have this full blown, just an urgency to go and so far makes it to the bathroom. My husband is against meds but finally I did talk him into giving Baclofin a try and he started it about 6 weeks ago. It has significantly reduced his cramps.

Hi Rebecca, welcome but sorry to hear about your dad. A lot of people use Elavil to help with drying up saliva and I think I've heard others use a Scopalamine patch(spelling?) I don't recall any members talking incontinence drugs but Flomax I think is being heavily advertised up here. Ativan helps some with sleeping. Hope this helps.

AL.

Hi! I don't have drooling. I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night and have trouble going back to sleep. As far as the incontinence goes, I had a baclofen pump implanted in December and that has eliminated that. That has also let me sleep more deeply and I don't have to get up in the middle of the night to go. I usually can fall back to sleep. So I guess in a sense it has helped with insomnia.

I tried oral baclofen and it makes me too sleepy (which exacerbatets the PLS). But the baclofen pump gave me a hellacious headache that lasted for 2 weeks. Also, I have 2 3 inch scars for the surgery (I guess my belly dancing days are over. lol). But I don't have any clonus.

I hope this helped,

Take care,
Alisa
Take care,
Alisa

Alisa,

My mom has not been successful with balcofen or tizandine/Zanaflex. She feels exhausted all the time. They told us that the balcofen pump would take a year of monitoring doses before it can be done.

Do you feel you've benefited from it?

Baclofen

Dear sral,
I would say that I have benefitted although I won't be running any marathons anytime soon (lol). But seriously, I just had it implanted (installed, uploaded, whatever) in Dec. 2008. I get it refilled in April (with a big needle; in my stomach; ouch). Hopefully, things are still changing and maybe I'll see more improvement. I'll keep you posted. You might want to go to www.medtronic.com and click on baclofen pump.

Take care,
Alisa

thanks and yes, please keep us posted on how you're doing with it

My husband is taking glycopyrrolate for the drooling and ativan for sleep and anxiety. He can really tell if he misses a dose of the drooling meds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back