Not open for further replies.

MountainLab19

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
First thank you all for taking time of our your life to read this and possibly help me. You may feel frustrated by this and I get it. I’m sorry I just really hopeless and I’m so scared I feel debilitated by panic. This is probably not the right place to be posting but I’m desperate for some reassurance from people who don’t love me and can give real feedback.
First, I do suffer from anxiety. I do see a mental health provider. I am on meds. Most anxiety revolves around health. I tend to self diagnose.
With that said please don’t dismiss what I’m about to write

What prompted this post:
At the grocery store the phone fell right out of my hand. Just flat out fell without me even acknowledging until it was on the floor. So far yes, that’s my only symptoms plus twitching. Bear with me. I’m trying to think of what other evidence i have and I guess sometimes when writing I feel my handwriting is more sloppy. I got home from the store and googled then just cried and cried. Questions to doctors indicate that dropping things is not normal. Neurological things come up , of which ALS is the most frightening . I’m 35 with 2 small kids and feel complete dread.

Last year a friend told me that she saw a neurologist for some symptoms she was having. She said they told her to “come back when she starts dropping things”. I’m not sure what the doctor that means by that as far as the diagnosis but it’s obviously concerning to a dr.

I’m scared it’s going to happen again and again until I have no choice but to see a neurologist for the diagnosis. I fear I’m going to ruin the holidays for my family because I have self diagnosed. We are taking a family vacation out of the county and the end of the month and I feel I won’t ever make it till then.

A post on my anxiety forum said it I can still use my hand it’s not ALS. I find that hard to believe. Is that accurate? Yes I can still use my hand and have not dropped anything else in 24 hours.

Will be going through this week terrified with all joy stolen for a unlikely fear..... any helpful feedback would be appreciated.

You have health anxiety, not ALS.

please read this. It should address your concerns:

Twitching is common, nonspecific, and meaningless in the absence of muscle function failure which you have not described. Dropping your phone once or twice is not failure. Almost everyone does that on occasion if they’re stressed or distracted.
If you can not grasp your phone no matter how hard you try, then see a doctor.

Good luck and best wishes, but you don’t need to be here.

I drop my phone all the time. So much so that in a year, I damaged the camera. But I dont have ALS, my husband does,who never drops his phone. How in the great world you jumped from a clumsy moment to possibly having such a rare disease, speaks volumes of how much more you should be focused on fixing your illness anxiety.

It is entirely up to you to continue feeding into your anxiety, or to work hard with your therapist and take your meds regularly to conquer it, is a choice only you can make.

Best of luck to you, but as Karen said, you dont need to be here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back