Reason
Other
Country
US
State
Ca
City
Marysville
I had hip replacement surgery 6 years ago that left me with drop foot and a leg completely dead from the knee down. By dead I mean no feeling and no muscle activity. My body can no longer circulate fluids and the foot swells and starts turning black when lower than my heart.

I was told under no circumstances was the sciatic nerve severed, only damaged, and the nerve would eventually repair itself.

After 3 years, I can now push my foot down. Can not move any toes...can not pull foot up, have partial feeling in spots on the outside of my calf, and it now takes my foot longer by a couple of hours, to turn black when below my heart.

My question is: it's been 3 years since the small burst of improvement. Is it still possible at this point for the nerves to heal themselves or has the time period for any further improvement lapsed?

Thank you in advance for any advice , experiencescam, or stories you might have.

Brandi

After 3 years it is what it is. Sorry about being blunt. What brings you to an ALS forum?
Vincent

Thank you for your response. I suspected that would be the answer I'd get but a show I was watching made the comment that the nerve has to heal to the brain as well and I was just hoping that might explain the extra time, if was even a true statement :)

I ended up here after doing a search for drop foot and this site popped up. I was curious why it did, but figured drop foot must some how have a connection with also.

Hope your memorial day holiday was a nice one.

Brandi

Mod note- Moved to DIHALS section

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back