Driving with double drop foot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, Outlander. While I do want my my husband to have independence for as long as possible, the safety of others must be considered. Plus, being that it is winter a good 7-8 months a year, with treacherous driving conditions, the response time to be alert all the tie could be compromised.

There is no more snow here, so my husband will drive to the accountant's tomorrow without me, but I know he is nervous given the highways and construction encountered along the way.

I drove for as long as I could, probably a little longer than I should have. I stopped driving when I realized I was umable to lift my foot from the gas pedal to the brake without using my arm to lift my leg. It was a huge safety concern, and I struggled swallowing my pride but I gave in. Let him hang on as long as he can, he should be able to tell you when it's no longer safe.

Shaun

Our ALS Clinic has a quick test for the foot thing. They measured how quickly you could move your right foot back and forth within 10 seconds 10X was ideal, nine was okay, eight or less time to stop driving.

My late husband stopped actually before he “failed” the test because his steering/ hand skills were concerning to him.

It’s brutal, but driving overall is an intensely demanding physical and mental skill and we don’t think of it like that because it’s routine.

Does one move count as one or is it the back and forth for one? Either way I passed with room to spare. Just curious. If it is only one movement you could be pretty slow and pass

Back and forth in one second is the ideal basically, do two movements :)

We'll definitely get him tested again on the 17th. I was relying on a hand e-break should something go wrong, but our new van doesn't have that option. There's just a push down foot pedal on the left side-his dead side. That scares me. I guess we'll go through everything on the 17th.

If I may chime in one more time. Why this is so hard for me to address.

When I was 12 years old my father started me in competition Go Kart
racing. (Go Karts were just beginning then). I went onto other forms
of racing as I grew older. Family, job and money closed out my dream.

I was raised into extreme driving skills, a twin engine Go Kart then
could reach speeds close to 80 miles an hour.

It’s something you don’t lose. Driving in Florida traffic was no real
challenge for me. :)

So, today facing a time when I have to turn the wheel over to someone
else will be very hard to do. But… I realize it’s not about me but
about my passenger and those on the road with me. Finally, today is
different… distracted driving incidents (accidents) are surpassing
drunk drivers. It’s the ability to respond in an instant.

God forbid you have a wreck that is not your fault but when it’s
learned you are driving with ALS…

It’s not just me but for people who drove trucks, people who drove
hundreds of miles a day for their jobs, people who have never had an
accident, driving is one of the last freedoms.

Regardless to PWC accessible vans, adaptive equipment, hand
controls… the day will come.

I believe a handbrake could be installed as an option, likewise that pedals can be moved, don't know how complex it is. There are shops that specialize in such things.

Laurie, even with adaptive equipment... the day will come ALS takes that away too.

Many here are beating the old 3 to 5 year prognosis with slow progression.

But... at any time along the way anyone with ALS that can change. Fall and etc.

But... the day will come.

No doubt, Al, I was responding to BFTTE's specific issue with her husband, who only has drop foot at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back