Diagnosis
09/2017
Country
US
State
SC
City
Hilton Head Island
It is important for PALS keep hydrated, for numerous reasons. However, as they lose strength and dexterity in their arms/hands, it can become quite the challenge to self-hydrate. This is just a quick post to let others know where we've been and where we are now (pre-feeding tube).

We started with acrylic glasses because of their light weight; when they became too cumbersome, I rigged up a sippy cup with a long stainless steel straw and that has worked pretty well for the last few months; however, now, even that is a struggle.

Ideally, I wanted a headset with a sipping straw (so she would not have to move the straw to her mouth), connected to a hydration bag (the latter similar to what long distance bicyclists use). After a pretty exhaustive search, I really couldn't find anything suitable. However, I was able to find the fleximug; it has a flexible straw that stays in the position you set it in; thus, I'm thinking I can position it near her mouth so she just has a head movement to get to the straw. I ordered the fleximug with a 24" straw - warning: not inexpensive, circa $60.

Ken

drinking-solutions.jpg
fleximug.PNG

That is cool while your pALS can use a straw. I cannot due to bulbar symptoms and after similar trial and error we found the Geigerig pressure system, which is similar to a Camelback except the water bladder is under pressure so I just have to bite the mouthpiece and water comes out, rather than having to suck it out. My father attached it to my PWC so it's always with me.

definitely when you can't suck and have no hand strength it's a challenge. I designed a contraption that a family member helped put together that allowed Chris to drink as it tipped the cup for him - he was able to use it right to the end as he kept a tiny bit of movement in one finger and could operate it ☺ My Chris could also only drink thickened coffee, he got his hydration through the peg, but he did like to feel he was sitting out and having a coffee and get some taste from it.
I hope this one works for you.
Nona that one you have sounds awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back