Diagnosis
07/2013
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Toronto
I have a question for PALS about dreams.

Do you have ALS in your dreams? In real life I am no longer able to walk, yet in my dreams I walk, run and drive a car like I was in normal health. I’m in a wheelchair all day, yet I’ve never dreamed about myself being in a wheelchair. Do other people experience this? For example, if you are unable to speak or eat, in your dreams are you able to speak and eat? If you can’t walk, are you able to walk in your dreams?

Yep, Chris would often tell me that in dreams he could speak normally and it would amaze him during the dream as he would be aware that in fact he couldn't speak.

I see myself on the baseball field or riding my recumbent trike...sometimes I see myself mowing the lawn which I loved to do.

Doug

My dreams generally begin with no ALS, but as I get further into the dream situations walking becomes difficult and I am using some type of scooter or wheelchair. By that point the dream is one of frustration and anger about my limited mobility. One recurring theme is searching for an accessible bathroom. Even if I am still walking in the dream, there is always something about the bathroom that makes it unusable. My good dreams are of being able to ride a bicycle and not having to use my legs! I can go for miles, jump obstacles, and even ride down stairs. My current status as essentially a quadriplegic on a vent never makes it into my dreams!

i worked dong heating and cooling for years i mostly did all of the meat work. i had a dream i was doing the work with my arms up. well that was not good. i woke up fast and in pain. i was trying to raise my arms up in my sleep and pulled my arm out of it's joints.

In good dreams, always active and strong.
In bad dreams, the new normal, usually trying to do something just beyond my reach.

I mentioned on another thread that I only have ALS 16-17 hrs a day - only when I'm awake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back