Diagnosis
08/2011
Country
US
State
Missouri
City
Springfield
This has absolutely nothing to do with any sickness but donuts have been mentioned on a thread recently and I just want to remark that I think Bavarian Cream Filled beat out Boston Cream Filled. Yum, Yum!

P.S.
I have a recipe for Hostess Cupcakes and Twinkies!

Last edited:
I want that recipe! Now you have done it! LOL

I like the old fashioned donuts best, you know the ones that are all misshapen and doughy and have apple bits in them with lots of cinnamon! Yum. Thanks Zaphoon now you made me hungry!

Quite a few years ago now, my (ex) husband's car was stolen. Earlier in the day he'd been to one of those bakery thrift stores and had several boxes of Twinkies and HoHo's in the backseat. So, when he got the car back, ALL of the Twinkies had been eaten, there were wrappers everywhere, the car was trashed! - but the HoHos weren't even opened up. It makes me wonder if Hostess's marketing department would have found it interesting for demographic analysis :)

.... I vote for the Bavarian cream (that's the white stuff, right?) or chocolate cream, or (my favorite) cinnamon and sugar, or home cut plain, or.... chocolate iced, or a cinnamon bun... maybe one of each... and not to start a controversy, but definitely Dunkin Donuts not Krispy Kreme

Rose, Rose, Rose

The controversy has begun, You obviously have not had Krispy Kreams when the light was on.

I vote for Dunkin' Donuts any day over Krispy Kreme..........:lol::lol::lol:

Then in the favorites category, mine would be blueberry cake donuts!

Renee, I am laughing so hard I choked. :lol:

BTW, my grandma made the best donuts, deep fried, dipped in sugar. Alas she's gone now and its only one of my fond memories.

Rose

I wish you lived closer I would make you some.

Hostess Twinkie Recipe

Rose, I think Ding Dongs beat out Ho Hos.
Renee, Its hard to beat those warm Krispy Kreams!

Joel, here is the recipe for Hostess Twinkies:

Needed: a bottle about the size of a twinkie, twelve 12X14 inch pieces of aluminum foil, pastry bag, toothpick.

Cake: 4 egg whites, one 16oz box golden pound cake mix, 2/3 cup of water, nonstick spray

Filling: 2 Tbsp butter, 1/3 cup vegetable shortening, 1 cup powdered sugar, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 1/3 cup evaporated milk, 1 Tsp vanilla extract, 2 drops lemon extract.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Fold each piece of foil in half twice. Wrap the folded foil around the bottle to create a mold. Leave the top open for pouring the batter in. Make 12 of these molds and arrange on a cookie sheet. Spray the inside of each with nonstick spray.

Beat the egg whites until stiff (spastic). Combine with cake mix and water and beat about 2 minutes (longer if emotional lability strikes) until thoroughly blended. Pour batter into molds, filling each about 3/4 inch deep. Bake about 30 minutes, or until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean from the center.

For the filling: Cream the butter and shortening. Slowly add the sugars while beating. Add the evaporated milk, vanilla and lemon extracts. Mix on medium speed until completely smooth and fluffy. When the cakes are done and cooled, use a toothpick to make 3 small holes in the bottom of each one. Move the toothpick around the inside of each cake to make room for filling. Using the pastry bag, inject each cake with filling through all three holes.

Makes 12 yummy Twinkies!

Love the recipe for the Twinkies. Haven't had them since I was a kid. Being a Canadian we don't have a Krispy Kreme here but I have had them and they are good. I used to love Tim Horton's here in Canada but they no longer bake them on site anymore (they come pre-made and just need to be finished) so they taste old. There is a small little mom and pop shop here called Perks. They bake them fresh every morning. Man are they good. Customers bring them to us at work all the time. I figure you can tell how good of a job you did by the donuts that are brought. Tim Horton's and you did alright, they bring Perks and you know you hit a home run with them, lol. An old fashion with sour creme glaze...mmm makes my mouth water.

Thanks for the recipe! I will get my wife to make them ASAP! Well, maybe sometime this week! LOL

Damn Zaphoon ... as if I didnt drool enough now !

I think it Timmies for breakfast. Coffee and Bavarian Cream donut ... Mmmmm

Hey

I am eating Krispy Kreams this morning, Had to go get some last night.

ooooh. I LOVE DONUTS~ Either the original cake donuts
OR
BAVARIAN CREAM FILLED with chocolate frosting~!~! YUMMY!

Cindy -

You are a donut lover after my own heart! Bavarian Cream-filled! (just thinking about it makes me shudder...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back