00/0000
Country
US
State
TX
City
Dallas
Hi All,

Let me start by saying I appreciate you taking the time out respond while dealing with your health.

I'm having trouble determining if my tongue and jaw issues are TMJ related or something worse. 27 yr old female - relatively healthy.

Would bulbar onset present with the back of tongue feeling tense/weird like it's too far in the back if my throat? It was causing some weird gagging/breathing sensations when I clench subconsciously. I can sometimes adjust and alleviate but the back of tongue continues to feel tight or heavy and weighed down.

No speech issues but I have a large tongue and can maybe compensate for the back half?
Can press tongue against both cheeks like a neuro strength test and move from side to side. Again, speech is unaffected as us front half of tongue. I notice some twitching but when my husband looks inside my mouth he doesn't see anything besides normal tongue movements. I don't have swallowing issues, but back half of tongue feels lazy during the process.

I don't want to go to a neuro if this sounds tmj/jaw related.
I guess my question is heaviness/tension in back half of tongue sounds like something neuro related? Can bulbar present without speech issues first? Can you have tongue fasciculations before any real noticeable weakness? I have no clinical weakness anywhere else in my body. Can stand on heels and toes and 1 foot on toes, etc.

Thanks to all!

Definitely not ALS. Relax and be happy.

Thanks for responding Barbie. One last question- I swear I see tongue fasciculations when I self check during TMJ relaxation techniques. Would bulbar als have clinical weakness in tongue with slurring of words before the fasciculations? My TMJ symptoms have come on pretty severe and freaked me out.

Can anyone also comment if you can actually feel your tongue fasciculations? Only later in the disease when they are more severe? I don't feel anything so when I see it it the mirror it freaks me out

Go to a doctor, it doesn't sound anything like ALS

Thank you Tillie. Again I really appreciate it.

I'm still up 4:30am battling with my jaw and tongue.
So painful - can't get my tongue to not feel tense along with muscles under chin.
Guess it's back to the dentist to see what else can be done.

A den tist is the place to start. I wear a splint every night. It looks like a retainer. It holds your mouth in a good alignment.

Tracy

Thanks Tracy.

I've been having a lump in my throat (above Adan's apple) and sore throat the last few days as well and my tongue just feels so goofy. I can talk fine, but at rest it feels like it's sitting too far back in my mouth and making my gag reflex sensitive. I also got diagnosed recently with acid reflex and have a hard time telling what is going on back there.

I knew als was a stretch but I've been having joint pain flair up (probably from stress), pain in arch of right foot and my joints were popping and cracking everywhere. Got me going down the bad Dr. Google path and then when my tongue felt tense and weird I freaked out.

Thanks for chatting with me - hope you all are doing well this Sunday evening.

Some medications can give you some of the same symptoms, see your doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back