Does visual sensory input exacerbate your spasticity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prosons

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
04/2009
Country
US
State
Vermont
City
South Burlington
Hello Everyone,
I was diagnosed with ALS in April 2009. I thought I'd ask a question to those of you in our community who's predominant symtom is spasticity.

I get a lot of muscle tension in addition to my existing upper motor symptoms, primarily from visual sensory input. For example, if I watch television, ride in a car, work on my computer, anything visually stimulating and especially rapid stimulation causes all of my muscles to stiffen up tightly. I notice it first in my eyes, they bulge out and become dry and irritated. Also my tongue and facial muscles become so tight that I can barely move them and then the rest of my body. Does anyone else experience this phenomenon?

Thanks for your response,
Frank

Are you sure you arent having some sort of seizure?

Thanks Goose,
I'm not sure but I think it's sensory overload.

I think most people with UMN irritation are affected by sensory input but probably everyone is different in how they respond to stimuli. For example I get super stiff if I'm having an engaging, high energy conversation, or if I feel people are watching me walk. On the other hand, I can feel myself relax somewhat if I think of Things I find comforting or empowering. It's strange how our minds affect spasticity but it's well known that it does.

I never heard about this before. Thank you for reminding us about the symptoms. However, there are a lot of things that individuals take for granted and some of the most innocuous things take a lot of work. Car paint, for example, has to undergo a ton of screening before it can get put on a vehicle.

......hmmmm..

>I exacerbated in the shower a while back and had some similar symptoms

Mark, I'm speechless! :) Do you exacerbate often?

well thank the lord he doesn't obfuscate!

>well thank the lord he doesn't obfuscate!

I'm sure Nikki's going to give him hell for this one !

Wow, I thought this forum was supposed to be supportive.

Grippy, it IS supportive! The last few posting are the boys having fun! Thank heavens they can still laugh and joke around, despite their disease! If you read other threads they are strictly serious and supportive. Everyone here is just trying to cope in their own way.

>Wow, I thought this forum was supposed to be supportive.

sorry, if we exacerbated the thread topic. some on here have a peculiar sense of humor :)

>I can feel myself relax somewhat if I think of Things I find comforting or empowering. It's strange how our minds affect spasticity but it's well known that it does.

me 2 -- I imagine being back up in the mountains with the birds 'n bears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back