Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
SC
Hey everybody,

I hope you are all doing well. I really hope you'll forgive me if I turn out to waste everybody's time. I understand ALS is a pretty rare disease, but if you are all like me, once I get something possibly very serious on my mind, it's hard to think of anything else. So, here has been my experience so far:

I am a 36 year old male.

About two months ago, I was at work, and I noticed some popping in my neck when I turned my head to the right. This was something that happened every I turn, and I'm pretty sure isn't related to air bubbles, or whatever, that allows you to pop your joints from time to time. Still does this two months later.

So, about two days later, I started noticing some funny symptoms. It started out with my vision becoming kind of blurry (not very, but noticeable to me, from one day to the next when it started, still 20/20 R, 20/40 L at doctor today) Then a day or two later, I noticed some ringing it my left ear that has persisted since inception. I've also been dealing with some "brain fog" like symptoms and possibly some additional fatigue.

So, I have had a cat scan, and no tumor was noted (I'm bad about expecting the worst). I also went to an orthopedist and my neck looks like it is not in the best shape. I previously has a head injury about 20 years ago, and I have bone spurs and some degenerative disc disease in some of my vertebra, loss of disc height, etc.

I went back to my family doctor today, knowing he could do a better job of coordinating my care. I've recently had some issues with some slight tremors in one of my hands that come and go, and I don't feel quite as coordinated as I used to be before my neck started popping. I don't have any issues with strength at this point. He lined me up for a cat scan and is initially treating it as cervical radiculopathy.

I am sorry to give such a rambling post, but does any of these symptoms line up to initial symptoms of ALS? And please forgive me if they don't. I know I mentioned that the doctor is initially saying radiculopathy, but I like to hear other people's opinions that are little closer to the subject matter at hand.

Thanks in advance for any of your thoughts.

They do not. I presume you will be following up with the orthopedist for the radiculopathy, and have or will be seeing an ophthalmologist for the vision changes.

Hey Igelb. Thank you for your response. Yes I plan on following through with the orthopedist and seeing a ophthalmologist as well. I want to find out what the matter is. I am assuming it has something to do with neck. My first symptoms began with that after all.

They do not at all which is great.
Try reading this really carefully to understand why.

Ok, I’m going to mention this, and then I’m going to try and block myself from visiting this site. I’ve developed a constant twitch in my left hand around the meaty part of my hand. I still have lots of strength in that hand though. I’ve got a set of captains of crush grippers that I haven’t used in a while and I’m still consistent with that. My question is, should I be concerned of a twitchy hand without any apparent loss of hand strength, as far as ALS goes? From what I’ve read from the sticky, it’s not, but I just want to hear from somebody that knows a bit more. It very well could be from anxiety, but after this post, I’ll try my best to just let it go.

From the link provided above:

1675302470512.png

No, you should not be worried about something so innocuous.

We wrote the sticky I directed you to!
So asking us after reading it shows you didn't read it very carefully after all.
We will not dispute anything in there.
Twitching alone means nothing, zip, zero, nada.
Probably better for your mental health if you do block this site and stop googling.

It sounds like you're a good planner. Could you meet with your primary, and a therapist, and plan out a course of action for how to manage the anxiety?

Best wishes.

I know I said I was going bounce after that last post, but that does sound like a great idea Mupstate. To all those that have helped by answering my questions, I did read the sticky, and I ask your forgiveness if I pushed the subject further than I should have. I appreciate all your responses though. Bless you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back