Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
cornwall
Hi, I just turned 38 in November and I have been fearing als for 2.5 years. My symptoms began 2 months after my fourth child was born. I was stricken with severe leg weakness, dizziness, muscle twitches everywhere and blurry vision. These symptoms went on for about 1.5 months. I had a brain mri, evoked potentials and eeg. Now 2.5 years later I am now experiencing the same symptoms but now have back aches, weight loss and stiffness. I've had many tests but everything comes back normal including physical neuro exam and ncs. Does this sound like als to you? Do symptoms come on strong then disappear for 2.5 years with als?

I also feel shaky, excess saliva, difficulty jogging or quickening my pace as my legs don't seem to respond. My hands and feet frequently fall asleep especially during the night. My hand also falls asleep easily when using my phone. I have not an emg yet. What tests do you suggest I ask for. Going to see another neuro in January. Would physical exam show any abnormalities with als? Babynski sign? Any ideas what my symptoms could point to? Als?

Yes physical exams can show abnormalities with ALS. So you had these symptoms 2.5 years ago, and it sounds like they went away, as they have reoccured? ALS symptoms do not go away, they may stay the same or plateau but they do not go away, so with that I would say that you do not have ALS. I would suggest that you get your serum magnesium, & calcium, electrolytes and serum protein checked as well as your B12 and vitamin D checked. I would also check your sugars, and fasting sugars to rule out early diabetes. There are a lot of hormone changes that happen at your age, and a malfunctioning thyroid can give you a lot of theses symptoms.
In short go see your doctor again, and have a work up. When I sent my husband in to be checked for ALS his doctor poo-poo'd it so didn't do any testing other than the blood tests that I told him to ask for, so sometimes we have to be quite assertive to get tests that are needed.

Thank you very much zoohouse. I've had my thyroid checked, checked for diabetes, lupus, rheumatoid, colonoscopy/gastroscopy, heart tests, xrays, ultrasounds... I had to beg my neuro for the tests I got. We live in a small city so they don't do emg's here. I was referred to another neuro in Ottawa so maybe he'll have some answers.Does als cause weight loss, taccycardia, vision problems, nausea?
Thanks again,
Laura

What did you doctor say 2.5 years ago? what did they say this time?

ALS does not get better so that is a strong indication you do not have it. NO way, no how. your symptoms are very vague--and could be many, many, things that are fixable. do not fixate on a terminal illness that doesn't fit your symptoms, work hard on finding out what it is so you can get back those kids. talk to your GP and see what he recommends--I am no doctor, but it just really does not sound at all like ALS.

.Does als cause weight loss, taccycardia, vision problems, nausea?

No.

(weight loss from ALS is due to atrophy muscle loss and inability to eat because of swallowing and bulbar symptoms--)

2.5 years ago my family doctor told me it was anxiety from my baby being sick 2 weeks after birth. She prescribed me anti-anxiety meds. When I kept complaining she reluctantly referred me to the neuro in town. He did a physical exam, mri, evoked potential, and eeg. He concluded that it was psychological. This time around he ordered the same tests as before and once again concluded depression. It was my orthopedic doctor who said my left quad seemed to have less muscle than my right quad and referred me to a neuro in Ottawa. My ortho is the one who tested me for lupus, rheumatoid... So I don't know but dont feel right at all. Used to be very active mother and teacher now its a struggle to do anything. When I do try and get up and go I get rapid heart rate with muscle fatigue. Is dizziness/lightheadedness generally seen with als?
Thanks again
Laura

Is dizziness/lightheadedness generally seen with als?

NO. Listen to your doctors. did you start the anti anxiety meds? are you still on them?

Yes I take clonazepam but doesn't help. I just feel so stiff and weak in the legs. At first I thought it had something to do with my c-section and tubal ligation because it happened so soon after giving birth but then I remember feeling weak during my pregnancy. but it was in my arms. I just don't know I'm at a loss.
Thank you
Laura

Again, you are fixating on a terminal illness--think about that please.

You do not have symptoms that point to ALS, your doctor told you it was stress related and the symptoms do absolutely point to anxiety and or depression. why can't you believe that? because despite everything, you orthopedic doc said one quad "seemed" smaller than the other?

It is hard to be a mom of 4 kids and Anxiety and stress seem to be a sign of 'weakness" that moms hate to admit. Rejoice instead, and join the rest of us moms! Take your doctor's advice on the meds, and get some counseling too. Your family needs you and the only thing keeping you from being that active mom and teacher is your own mind.

I wish you the best and good luck. Please, find a counselor today and maybe you need to change the meds to a different one.
it can take a month or so before they really kick in completely. Start the new year right.

Thank you for the advice. I just don't see how all my symptoms can be related to anxiety. Been anxious before but never felt physically unable to do things. Especially when I get twitching and tremor in my thumbs. My neuro told me that if it was als after 2.5 years I would probably be in a wheelchair on a breathing tube. Is that a bad thing what the ortho doc noticed?
Thanks
Laura

Laura,

I live in Cornwall. Was recently quite sick and I was super impressed with the several doctors treating me. That being said, I believe you do not have ALS - after 2.5 years, trust me, not only wouldn't your legs not pick up the pace - they'd be dangling from a wheelchair! ( as mine are)

Try, if you insist on further testing, to get referred to Dr. Pierre Bourque at Ottawa Civic. He's a much better neuro than they have here. Long long wait list - but well worth it.

Elaine,
I also live in Cornwall. How strange is that? Did you go to see Suryani initially? That's who I have gone to for 2.5 years. Sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Have you had it long? Dr Tombler an orthopedic surgeon referred me to a Dr. Atack in Ottawa. I will ask him about the doctor you mentioned? So my symptoms don't sound typical? What were your initial symptoms?
Thanks again
Laura

Anxiety... the symptoms are somewhat easy to recognize. Stress... good old fashion stress can create insidious symptoms. Stress has now been linked to the cause of some heart conditions which many of your symptoms could be attributed to. So...get a good cardio check up. Also, ask for an ultra sound of your Aorta. Had a friend in his 40s with many of your symptoms who had a blockage in his. Many here have given you sound opinion that you are not looking at ALS.

Anxiety - Stress - Heart... any age, any person.

Last edited:
I read Cornwall in your profile beside your name. We moved here 6 months ago to be with family. My diagnosis was April 5, 2012 @ 3:30.

Nothing you describe sounds like ALS! Get it out of your mind. Get off the internet re-searching your symptoms. It serves no useful purpose. Any number of things can be causing your symptoms. Listen to your GP. I don't know Atack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back