Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
CA
City
LA
Hello all,

I am new to this forum and I will be honest that I’m feeling quite anxious. I’ve been experiencing some symptoms that I’m worried may indicate ALS.

I will preface this by saying I’m 24 years old and I’ve had neurological problems since I was 12, so I am no stranger to seeing a neurologist. At age 12, I developed a resting finger tremor that progressed into a resting hand tremor in my right hand. After a few years the tremors progressed to include my left hand, and at times my arms will twitch. My neurologist has run two MRIs which came up normal. I had a DaT scan done in 2015 to test my dopamine levels for early onset Parkinson’s—this also came out normal. In 2014, I was also diagnosed with focal foot dystonia. The toes in my feet curl under and I get Botox injections every 3 months. I also have a head tremor that’s noticeable when I try to keep my head still. I’ve had it for years and I think it’s related to my dystonia. Does anyone know if it’s possible to have ALS and dystonia at the same time?

Now for my ALS concern:

Within the past 6 months I’ve become aware that my tongue quivers when I stick it out and I trip over words at times (primarily s- sounds). My neuro has observed this, but states that my symptoms seem stable and my tongue isn’t shrinking so he doesn’t seem to believe it’s ALS at the moment. I also experience facial twitching at times—this comes and goes.

Today, I also noticed an indent in my in my left arm below my elbow. My left arm is my dominant arm/hand. This is concerning because I don’t notice an indent in my right arm, and the right arm seems bigger. Photo attached for reference.

I’ve also been experiencing weakness and soreness in my left arm (dominant arm) for 2-3 weeks. The soreness is less bad on some days than others, but for the most part it’s present. It makes typing and writing difficult on many days, and my left hand just feels clumsy. I’ve experienced chronic left shoulder pain for several years and am not sure if this is related.

Overall I’m mainly concerned about my tongue quivering and arm weakness. Does anyone have insight on whether or not they’ve ever experienced anything like this? I wouldn’t wish ALS on my worst enemy and my thoughts are with all PALS.

Thanks all for your time,

Mayag

Attachments

• 7EECD2C3-C6B5-4477-A62C-153C97323F7A.jpg
    7EECD2C3-C6B5-4477-A62C-153C97323F7A.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,446
Also wanted to add that my neuro has referred me to ENT for my tongue symptoms.

Sorry to hear you've been eff'd up all your life. It happens. But there's no ALS there, not even a tiny bit.

I invite you to read the sticky post stuck at the top of this subforum. It's called "Read Before Posting" and it will explain why you don't have ALS and never will.

The dent in your arm is because your dominant arm has more well-defined muscles. Plus, people aren't symmetric. All humans have some differences left and right, and these things change over time, too.

You get better some days, and get worse other days. ALS never gets better.

If you joined this club at 24, you would be the youngest I have ever seen. This is a disease for 65-year-olds, and some folks get it as early as 45. I've heard there are younger ALS patients, but I haven't seen one in the ten years since I've been part of this community.

Twitching doesn't count. Healthy people twitch. Twitching is so common to so many conditions that it is not diagnostic of anything.

Pain and soreness would point AWAY from ALS. Muscles feel pain because they have been working really hard. In ALS, the muscles don't get the "go" signal from the brain, so the muscle doesn't do anything.

Your neurologist would know. That's why he's not looking at ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back