Other
Country
US
State
New York
City
Cicero
Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this -

I began having balance problems (walking but feeling like I might fall down) August 2006 - went to my primary care Dr. he told me I had fluid in my ear and gave me some meds, that went away and then I began to have headaches daily for 3 months and then they went away. I was fine for about a month but then in February 2007 I started feeling weakness and stiffness in my legs and when I walked almost a feeling of un-coordination and that my foot would hit the ground but it would take a second before my leg would be stable and I've had a stiff heavy neck, lower back burning and discomfort and some mild balance problems and fatigue.

Since February 2007 I have been to an ENT who tested me for allergies and told me I have level 3 allergies to dust and mold and gave me allergy drops. ENT also tested me for sleep apnea - said I had a mild case and gave me a mouth piece to wear at night. I've had 2 sinus CT scans which revealed a deviated septum with a nasal bone spur. In March 2007 I had a brain MRI which came back "clean"/"unremarkable". I have also been to a chiropractor would told be I have subluxation in my neck and lower back - have been seeing him for 5 months and still have symptoms.

It got better summer (2007) and into the fall (2007) – never really going away but much better – would this rule out ALS? Then at the end of November 2007 it started getting worse seemed to be related with running every day.

I have had an MRI of my neck and lower back – came back that I didn’t need surgery but I had some bulging in L5 – S1 with severe loss of disc height in L5 – S1 and a little in my neck.

Went to the Neurologist and he examined me and said I was fine – I had an EMG/NCV test here are the results –

EMG & NCV Findings:
Evaluation of the left Peroneal nerve showed prolonged distal onset latency (6.6 ms). The right peroneal motor nerve showed prolonged distal onset latency (5.8 ms). The left Saphenous Anti Sensory nerve showed reduced amplitude (2.5 uV). The right Saphenous Anti Sensory nerve showed peak latency (3.7 ms). The left Sup Peroneal Anti Sensory nerve showed reduced amplitude (4.7 uV). All remaining nerves were within normal limits.
All F wave latencies were within normal limits. All H Reflex left vs. right side latency differences were within normal limits.

All examined muscles showed no evidence of electrical instability.

Impression: No evidence of lumber radiculopathy, peripheral neuropathy, or peripheral nerve entrapment. There is a mild Peroneal neuropathy seen bilaterally, etiology unknown. Patient will be going for a lumber MRI in January, which may be helpful. His symptoms are consistent with lumber stenosis

Your EMG was clean and your NCV showed sensory nerve issues. Both of those point away from ALS.

You also have your diagnosis: lumbar stenosis, which would explain your symptoms.

You're probably going to get some physical therapy and maybe lumbar decompression and hopefully those fix your problems.

Take care.

I have posted this before, but my grandma had severe spinal stenosis and was having alot of problems with her legs. SHe even had foot drop and could not stand. She went to therapy (Not sure what kind) and it is better. SHe still has an issue or 2 but can walk again and her balance is back.

Thanks for the reply

The problem with the spinal stenosis diagnosis was that the MRI done this past January reveled a bulging disc in L5 – S1 with severe loss of disc height in L5 – S1, is that also consistent with my symptoms?

The problem with the spinal stenosis diagnosis was that the MRI done this past January reveled a bulging disc in L5 – S1 with severe loss of disc height in L5 – S1, is that also consistent with my symptoms?

The bulging disc is what is causing the stenosis. You have compression of your spinal cord via your disk. Again, your physician gave you your diagnosis; it says it in your report.

Congrats!

Unfortunately the MRI showed there was no spinal stenosis only the buldging disc and loss of disc height - I guess that's why I'm concerned.

Unfortunately the MRI showed there was no spinal stenosis only the buldging disc and loss of disc height - I guess that's why I'm concerned.

Listen to me please: the bulging disc is what is causing compression of your spinal cord. The bulging disc is narrowing the spinal canal, which is what a spinal stenosis is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back