Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
FI
State
finland
City
hyvinkää
I'm a 17yo male and I've had muscle twitching for about 2 months now. It's mainly in my right leg (calf, thigh, foot, buttock), but also in the left leg and randomly elsewhere (neck, abdomen, upper back, shoulders, arms, around the eyes, around the mouth etc). It started about two months ago with intense tingling in all of my digits, and with a numb feeling in the muscles of my right calf, forearm and the right side of my face, during the course of one weekend. I also noticed that my right forearm got really tired just shaving, but it's improved a lot since. The only thing that has persisted is the twitching, which is, as I said, mostly in my right calf, but also in the other muscles of my legs, and randomly elsewhere. It started in both legs and the face at the same time, and it seems to be pretty random, however it is frequent in the right leg, and the twitches are very strong. Rarely there are days I don't really notice it at all, and every few days there are long periods where I don't feel any twitching. I've done all the strength test for the calves, and didn't notice any obvious weakness. I've also had random cramping in the right leg, and sometimes the left, while walking, which occurs mainly in the outer side of the right calf and the back of the right thigh. About a month ago I had a stiff sensation above the right knee, which made walking feel awkward, but didn't affect my gait (as far as I could tell). That too has now more or less disappeared. I've been to a GP about 3 weeks ago, who examined me somewhat routinely (knee reflexes, arm reflexes, feeling in toes and fingers etc.) but didn't test for babinski's or hoffman's. She said she didn't find anything unusual, but sent me to get an emg "just in case", but didn't refer me to a neuro. She also sent me to get a blood test and prescribed me vitamin b12 tablets. However, I got the feeling that she tought my main complaint was the tingling, even though it disappeared very early. My blood test came back normal, and I have the emg in one month. I still don't have any obvious weakness, and I've read that the weakness is usually present by the time you can feel the fasciculations, but I don't know how accurate that is, since many members here seem to have different experiences. I've always been the worrying type, especially when it comes to health matters. I realize many things here, including my age, are not typical in ALS, but not all cases are typical, and thinking about the probablities doesn't help those who actually get the disease.

Twitching is so common as to not be indicative of anything, let alone ALS. And based on your age, you are more likely to be struck by lightning while being eaten by a shark as to have ALS. It tends to be an old person's disease, you have a long time before you need to worry about this
Vincent

I agree with the other Vincent. Manage your sleep and watch your caffeine intake. Oh to be 17 again.....

Vince

...not all cases are typical, and thinking about the probablities doesn't help those who actually get the disease.

Your logic is correct.

I'll address the age issue first. 17 is unheard of. I recently reviewed a database of 1800 ALS patients. Average age, 60s. Only three people were in their twenties. They were 27, 28 and 29. If a 17-year-old got ALS, it would be a world record.

I read all your symptoms. Not ALS. Doesn't sound like ALS at all.

For details, please read the thread pinned to the top of this subforum titled "Sticky: New Members Read This First."

Vincent is absolutely correct about twitches. Ignore them or be amused by them. They don't mean anything.

Personally, I think the EMG is a waste, but always follow your doctor's advice.

Thank you for your responses, they definitely calmed me down. You know how treacherous google can be when most sources only list symptoms without offering context. One more thing about my twitches I forgot to mention is that they stop if I move the muscle in question. From what I've read this is not the case with ALS, can you tell me if this is correct?

Thank you for your responses, they definitely calmed me down. You know how treacherous google can be when most sources only list symptoms without offering context. One more thing about my twitches I forgot to mention is that they stop if I move the muscle in question. From what I've read this is not the case with ALS, can you tell me if this is correct?

Stop talking, you're 17. You don't need to understand the intricacies of fasciculations in incurable fatal diseases. If, for a moment, any of us thought you had a medical problem, we would have told you.

So get out and surround yourself with life, laughs, good times, and pretty girls. There's nothing but dying people here. Stay away from hip hop, drugs and alcohol. And wherever you go, don't forget to call your parents. Parents will forever worry about their children.

Remember, you become what you focus on.

Okay, thanks again, by!

Mike, I so adore you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back