Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Washington
City
Seattle
Hi everyone. I'm a 20 year old female and have been having some weird symptoms lately.
So about 2.5 weeks ago I started feeling muscle twitches around my body. I didn't think much of it at the time because I do occasionally experience muscle twitching after workouts, etc. However the next time I went to workout I had to stop doing lunges because I was experiencing a cramping like feeling in both of my quads, which is weird for me because I usually do not have muscle cramping, except if I haven't eaten much or am really dehydrated. I then started experiencing very bad pain in my neck and shoulders, which has gotten be concerned that maybe my neck muscles are weakening?
The next time I tried to workout I got another muscle cramp in my thigh, and I made the mistake of googling my symptoms which led me straight to ALS (my Aunt also died from ALS when I was younger so it has been in the back of my mind for a while).
Over the next week I was getting such bad muscle twitching in my legs that it was keeping me up at night along with some random muscle cramping in my legs. My muscles are still twitching to this day and I have felt overall fatigued.
This past week I have had perceived muscle weakness on the right side of my body as well. Everything feels heavier with my right hand and even things like taking notes in class feel more difficult. I also have had a lot of pain in both my right hand and right leg/foot. My right foot also feels a bit off, like it doesn't belong to my body.
I have also tried working out/taking long walks the past couple weeks and I feel that I fatigued very easily and my legs just aren't working right.
I have been to my primary care physician 3 times who has done a full body exam and seems to be fairly unconcerned, thinking it is just my anxiety or that it is a weird virus that will pass. He said he would order an MRI on Monday if I still feel like I haven't made any improvement.
Does this sound like the first stages of ALS? I know I am young but I keep hearing more and more stories of young people who are diagnosed with ALS. I am so worried and cannot figure out whether my symptoms are real or if my anxiety is taking over my body.

Last edited:
Andy, first of all Dr. Google does not have an MD, So stop listening to him. ALS is very rare in Someone your age as you well know. I am not exactly sure what a PCP is so I've got no idea what kind of advice you're getting there either. The only person that can diagnose ALS is a neurologist that specializes in ALS. Spend the weekend ingesting as much water and electrolytes as you can and see if that does not relieve your symptoms.

All the best

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back