Does this sound like ALS? Do I have ALS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curlybrit94

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
I'm 28, female, British.

Basically, it started with a UTI infection with lead to me having to take Macrobid (Nitro/Floxxy) at the end of May. It didn't clear the infection and at around that time. I can recall my lower back pain worsening and my left hand went numb one day when I was at home chilling.

I just remember my hand going numb, I didn't think much of it. Then about two weeks later, the second week of June. I had felt my left hand/arm go numb here and there, again, ignored it. Back pain still very present. I took Cefalexin to clear the UTI which worked and in the same week I remember being in bed. And all of a sudden, I recall my toes/fingers/feet burning all at once. My thighs were throbbing/twitching. My arms hurt too. I just recall full on burning and numbness. That is all I remember and it went on for about four/five days this did. I was in agony and crying so much. I did not feel well either, I recall feeling very unwell not as in vomiting but as in tired/fatigue.

After two weeks, things settled. We are in mid June now and all that I am left with are my fingers which feel weird when I curl them, their joints feel firmer? But my hands don't feel weak. My left hand/arm feels more numb/weakish than my right, slightly. I can feel burn/cold/heat ect.

I get random twitches all over my body, lips tingle a little but not too much, I have had a tiny tingle in my tongue here and there but that isn't often.

My calves can hurt a little if I am walking tons, feet tend to just buzz/pins and needles nowadays. Sometimes they can burn or sometimes I get a shooting pain in a finger. My legs feel like more of a target, buzzing, there is always a buzzing feeling.

I wake up numb sometimes in my legs and sometimes a hand or the other.

Come 13th July, I get a call off my doctor saying I have Pelvis Inflammatory Disease. I shit myself, I am on antibiotics for two weeks. The antibiotics did not agree with me at all. doxycycline and metronidazole made me dizzy, sore neck, stiff shoulders, I was pooping tons, could not eat.

I noticed within my last week of taking them, the neuropathy I already had felt worse? Legs hurt more, I was waking up with fully numb hands and legs every morning.

The antibiotics are finished now. I only now feel alive again, I do not feel fatigue but I still have back pain, I noticed my legs hurt to walk more now. I am ridiculously dehydrated. The pins and needles sensation still remain in my legs, burning toes/numb feet still happen. My stomach has settled down more now thank god. But my left arm still feels abit more numb than my right.

Today I was out and I felt slightly dizzy still though. Could this be MS?

Is this the start of ALS?

I am just so afraid, it's absolutely horrible feeling like this!

First please read this.
secondly you should be talking to your doctor as only they can evaluate you
thirdly your symptoms appear to be mostly sensory ( feeling) which points away from ALS which is a motor neuron disease
fourthly some of those medications can have nasty side effects as can infections
lastly Mr google is a terrible diagnostician best log off and call your doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment. Good luck

Hi there,

I know I should not worry. I am seeing a neurologist in two weeks today. The UK NHS system is very very slow with the neurology department at the moment, fully booked. So I have had to go private and I am paying £230 to see a neurologist.

Can I just say, one thing I noticed when my body was burning/throbbing and hurting so bad in bed. It was that my veins looked more prominent? I am biracial, I have brown skin. And my veins look more bold? And it left my right wrist in pain which has not gone away. I would not say my muscles have gone thinner in two months, I have strength and I can walk.

But once I get into bed at night, I feel like everything kicks off. The burning / throbbing doesn't happen as much now. And I still wake up numb here and there. I just cannot understand it.

I know this is very distressing and of course you are worried. I did not say there is nothing wrong rather that sensory symptoms are not the primary issue in ALS

Being dizzy and dehydrated is a pretty common combination, and gets better when you rehydrate -- with water-based drinks, not fizzy ones, etc. As noted, also, abx can have their own side effects.

I don't see anything neurological in this, so I'd expect the consultation to be reassuring, and I'd keep in close touch with your GP.

I'm 28, female, British.

Basically, it started with a UTI infection with lead to me having to take Macrobid (Nitro/Floxxy) at the end of May. It didn't clear the infection and at around that time. I can recall my lower back pain worsening and my left hand went numb one day when I was at home chilling.

I just remember my hand going numb, I didn't think much of it. Then about two weeks later, the second week of June. I had felt my left hand/arm go numb here and there, again, ignored it. Back pain still very present. I took Cefalexin to clear the UTI which worked and in the same week I remember being in bed. And all of a sudden, I recall my toes/fingers/feet burning all at once. My thighs were throbbing/twitching. My arms hurt too. I just recall full on burning and numbness. That is all I remember and it went on for about four/five days this did. I was in agony and crying so much. I did not feel well either, I recall feeling very unwell not as in vomiting but as in tired/fatigue.

After two weeks, things settled. We are in mid June now and all that I am left with are my fingers which feel weird when I curl them, their joints feel firmer? But my hands don't feel weak. My left hand/arm feels more numb/weakish than my right, slightly. I can feel burn/cold/heat ect.

I get random twitches all over my body, lips tingle a little but not too much, I have had a tiny tingle in my tongue here and there but that isn't often.

My calves can hurt a little if I am walking tons, feet tend to just buzz/pins and needles nowadays. Sometimes they can burn or sometimes I get a shooting pain in a finger. My legs feel like more of a target, buzzing, there is always a buzzing feeling.

I wake up numb sometimes in my legs and sometimes a hand or the other.

Come 13th July, I get a call off my doctor saying I have Pelvis Inflammatory Disease. I shit myself, I am on antibiotics for two weeks. The antibiotics did not agree with me at all. doxycycline and metronidazole made me dizzy, sore neck, stiff shoulders, I was pooping tons, could not eat.

I noticed within my last week of taking them, the neuropathy I already had felt worse? Legs hurt more, I was waking up with fully numb hands and legs every morning.

The antibiotics are finished now. I only now feel alive again, I do not feel fatigue but I still have back pain, I noticed my legs hurt to walk more now. I am ridiculously dehydrated. The pins and needles sensation still remain in my legs, burning toes/numb feet still happen. My stomach has settled down more now thank god. But my left arm still feels abit more numb than my right.

It's now almost September. Three weeks ago, I felt the symptoms lessen. My legs did not sure, the twitching wasn't as severe, my ankles and neck did not hurt. But when I was due on my period I feel like the symptoms have flared up again. Now, three weeks later. My legs feel like lead, numb, ankles hurt, neck ache, dizziness when walking sometimes. I have noticed clearing my chest often for over a month. Fingers feel sore sometimes, I can move them, shoulders hurt and calves really hurt. I feel this rushing feeling in my legs, toes go cold and numb. I don't twitch as much but my right eye does more so.

Some days I feel like my feet are numb and that I am not walking but I actually am. Yet to see a neurologist, still on the waiting list. It's been four months now.

Is this the start of ALS?

I am just so afraid, it's absolutely horrible feeling like this!

While waiting for the neurology appointment, I would really huddle back up with your GP. This does not seem neurological and as Nikki says, antibiotics such as you have taken and infections such as you have had are implicated not infrequently in issues such as you describe. Each can be a great strain on the body. Dehydration is as well, so whatever non-alcoholic beverage you can drink a lot of should be at hand at all times.

Best,
Laurie

I felt numbness in my left hand before I took the antibiotics but at the time I did have the pelvic inflammatory disease. That was four months ago now. So far, I have wrist pain, fingers which feel sore at times but it goes away when at rest. I can move my arms and hands just fine. My leg pain is all over. It goes from left to right, one side is more painful than the other. But I have had certain weeks where the pain isn't as bad and the spasms/numbness/burning has lessened. Does ALS do this? Also I have neck ache/ shoulder pain. Does ALS progress fast? Would I have seen more in 4 months?

Again you are describing feelings/ sensations. aLS affects the motor nerve so causes loss of functions which you do not have. We have told you this repeatedly Closing thread because there is nothing more to say. Please do not start another unless you are reporting a new diagnosis of something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back