RyanS

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Good Afternoon,

Im seeking clarification on hand weakness. For the past 3 weeks, regardless of rest I have persistent hand pain to the point that I can’t complete some actions such as pouring a full jug of water. The pain spikes in my thumb pad and prevents me from completing the movement. If I were to empty the jug of water, I then can complete the action. So, in the context of ALS, is this weakness since pain is preventing a movement? I also have leg tightness and intermittent fasciculations throughout.

While what you report doesn't seem to fall within the constellation of symptoms that would cause a doctor to be concerned about a neurologic disease, let alone ALS, it sounds like you do need to visit with a doctor. There are many things that cause pain- an assessment by a doctor is where to start.

If you read the pinned "Read Before Posting thread in the subforum, you will learn about the difference between feeling weakness and clinical weakness. Clinical weakness is where the muscle does not get a signal to engage. Pain is something else.

As suggested above, the answer to your question is no.

Thank you both for your time and what you do. My father passed from a brain tumor at a young age and so I’m painfully familiar with the feelings and emotions associated with a progressive disease. Assisting others in the way you do is a wonderful altruistic act that from the looks of the forums, has benefitted 100s if not 1000s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back