Diagnosis
08/2011
Country
US
State
OR
City
Scio
I ran across an article recently that said Neudexta may improve swallowing, excess salivation, and even speech. Has anyone taken Neudexta and experienced improvement in speech?

I did a search and found one post that mentioned alleviation of drooling and improved swallowing but did not mention speech. Posts in the same thread stated that two people experienced increased stiffness when taking Neudexta.

Like everything with ALS Everyone reacts and progresses different. My wife started taking nuedexta about a year since with ALS PBA kicked in. She has been losing her ability to speak for about a year and a half. Now her ability to speak coherently is gone. She just got her Tobii eye tracker for AAC. No difference with saliva for her but for some reason after getting her PEG feeding tube put in she says that she feels there is less saliva now. Good Luck.

Not in my husband's case.He take it for EL , and it works .Some day's he can even eat soft foods better than before.I have heard of it working for others. Good luck.

Shiftkicker - Thanks for the PM. I was unable to figure out how to reply. Perhaps I don't have permission.

That's really odd. There should be a window in which to reply directly underneath my message to you. You've definitely been on the forums long enough, and posted enough, to have the ability to send pm's.

I started Nuedexta for PBA. Ironically, it seemed to only marginally help my PBA, but it improved my speech a LOT. After about 6 months or so my speech began to decline back to where it was before I started Nuedexta, and then slowly to decline further. But Nuedexta definitely helped in my case, and I believe it helped with swallowing a bit as well.

For me, it's helped with PBA but not speech.

My husband definitely noticed an improvement with mucus and saliva once he went to the 2 a day dosage (he'd initially only wanted to try 1 pill a day). That improvement was pretty dramatic considering before he felt like he was drowning in secretions. As for speech, it helped slightly but we believe that was because the thick mucus in his throat was adding to his speech problem. Unfortunately, his lips and tongue are still sluggish on one side and he has fasticulations in the tongue - his speech is deteriorating pretty rapidly, albeit with short bursts of better than normal. We were really hoping it would help with speaking. My family will be coming back for a reunion in July (mainly to see him while they can) but I don't think he'll be able to speak at all by then. :-(

Kristina I have heard a couple of other PALS say their nuedexta improvement lasted about 6 months

Nikki i wonder why it drops off at that point. that is interesting.

If they knew that it would probably be a step forward in understanding. It makes me think of the movie The Awakening, another example ( more dramatic) of temporary neurological improvement

I love that movie <3

Kristina So do I!

Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread. It appears that improvements in speech with Neudexta are because saliva is reduced and/or are only temporary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back