Reason
Other
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Zanesville
Feb'15 my husband started having fasciculation's. July'15 he noticed weakness in his left hand. Oct'15 he visited a neuromuscular dr at Cleveland Clinic who mentioned that my husband has more fasciculation's than he's seen in years. However a 3 hour EMG was clean and there were no noticeable clinical weakness or atrophy. The dr even said he was pleasantly surprised of the results of EMG. A few months ago he started to not be able to pull fingers together without struggling. He can't completely straighten out a couple fingers but can move them and hand feels weaker. He now has clinical weakness and atrophy in the left hand. He had an EMG the other day but it wasn't with a neuro dr. That dr said the EMG was abnormal and there was atrophy and weakness present. He couldn't give us reasoning said he had to review EMG numbers. This has been going on for a year now. No diagnosis very stressful and scary. What are the forums thoughts on this? Fasciculation's are mainly in upper limbs, chest. He really hasn't noticed weakness anywhere else other than left hand but thinks the right hand could be starting to mess up. In 2002 he did have his colon removed due to ulcerative colitis. Thanks for your response.

If it were me I would see what your doctor says. There are many reasons why an EMG might be abnormal. We cannot guess what might be wrong. It seems like your doctor is willing to follow up. You said he had an EMG but it wasn't a neuro? I don't think a non-neuro would do an EMG.

He is a doctor that specializes in sports and rehab. Deals a lot with spinal issues. The ortho dr refered him there when his MRI showed a buldging disk and because the MRI was mild compared to his physical exam. Only we didn't realize at the time he wasn't neuro.

So what was the disposition at Cleveland? They should have provided a provisional diagnosis, followup plan, something? If things have progressed, from a data quality standpoint, it makes sense to go back to the doc there. They can compare the extent of weakness and test results.

He is going back to Cleveland August 2nd. This will be with s different neuromuscular dr but same group. His original dr couldn't see him until Dec. initially they called it benign fasiculations. He's a deputy sheriff and not being able to use his fingers on one hand is making it rough on him.

Good you are going back. You might read the sticky on second opinions and make sure you bring everything or make sure it is sent/received, so you get the most from the appt. It's easy for that not to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back