00/0000
Country
US
State
CA
City
San Jose
Please help me with the symptoms.

Woman, 36 years old. Heavy workouts 4 days a week.

Symptoms I have:

1. Right foot is more stiffer and heavier sometimes than left one but I don’t feel any weakness ( around 6 month). Just some uncomfortable feeling from time to time when I remember about that foot can feel weird.
  2. Upper eyelid has been twitching for like 2 month.
  3. Two weeks ago I started to notice that if I go to pucker my lips slowly, my lips are quivering, face is trembling while I’m nervous but I brushed it away thinking that it was an anxiety. Then I’ve noticed that I hold a book in the particular position in my left hand at some point it starts to shake and this tremor goes away after changing the position. No obvious weakness in the hand like I drop something or can’t grab something, also I can lift the same weight with it as before. Or is that trembling can be considered as weakness? Day after that I started to experience pain in my left part of the neck, shoulder and arm (I have lumbar disc decease like wear and tear, not sure if it’s related)
  4. Also I’ve noticed that all my body muscles are tremoring much more during the workouts.
  5. I was scrolling the tik tok and saw some information about ALS and though if my arm problem is related to ALS. And about twitching. And two days later I’ve started to experience awful twitching all over my body: arms, legs, stomach, back etc.
  6. After more couples days I started to experience an awful painful muscle cramps. It started with calves and then moved to quads and glutes and even arms sometimes. And myorelaxants are not really helpful( I’m taking Baclofen 10mg).

Now I can’t stop googling and crying because all the symptoms are pointing to ALS. And if it’s ALS why symptoms got so much worse in just 1.5 weeks.

I have my neurologists appointment in 2 weeks.

Does it look like ALS?

All comments are appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't sound like ALS to me. I expect any doctor would get routine blood work and probably Vitamin D and B-12. For now, lay off caffeine, hydrate with water, eat healthy food including fruit and vegetables and do some gentle stretching and meditation.

Your doctor will sort it all out but I don't think ALS would be on my radar.

Thanks!
I also have one more question.
Problem with my left hand when I’m holding something on the particular position (by thumb and index finder mostly) I feel like my arm muscles start to shake and hand with fingers too because of the muscles. Is it considered as a muscle weakness?

Hi Anna-

It's not clear if you've read the Read Before Posting link yet. It answers many questions and explains the difference between feeling weak and actual clinical weakness. This is something your neurologist can assess properly when you see them in a couple weeks. Many different conditions can cause the symptoms you report, so a proper exam is your best bet, as it's not clear they're neurological in nature.

Please take care

I had an appointment with my primary care provider, she checked legs and arms weakness only (she didn’t say anything, but I felt that my left arm shook more than right one, I’m not sure if this tremor is the symptom of weakness again)), she gave me referrals to blood test and EMG ( I have to wait for 3 weeks). And she said to take magnesium (doesn’t help at all).

But I’m super concerned about my muscle spasms all over the body symptom. These half Charlie horses are all over the body but mainly in my legs, it feel it 24/7. I have to take painkillers to sleep through the night.

Is is possible to have twitches and painful Charlie horses all over the body as onset ALS or it comes later? ( I don’t have any failure).

Last edited:
That is a very unlikely onset. The tests will show if there is something else to look at. Sometimes there is not.

I would try a dab of magnesium lotion on any hot spots, and try eating foods with calcium, magnesium, potassium and sodium in a balance, like you get with super fruit juices/smoothies and such.

Stop back when you get the test results, but not until then. Meanwhile, I would stay off any site with "ALS" in it, like ours.

I’m pretty sure that this is ALS since I have tremor in my left hand fingers (or arm) when I put some pressure or hold something and also I’ve noticed that something is happening with my left bicept (extra skin appeared and also looks wierd), I’m super fit person and I’ve never had it before.

The cramps pains are almost unbearable now.. I don’t see any other reason for widespread cramps all over the body.

All those symptoms: hand shakiness (weakness), twitching, bicepts appearance, muscle jerks, and awful muscle cramps appeared just in 2 weeks which is crazy..

Is there anything that people with ALS are taking to cope with that pain?
If not.. I don’t know what to do.

Last edited:
There are plenty of reasons for widespread cramps, which actually argue strongly against ALS. So does the speed that you are talking about. I would see your doctor, ask about PT/massage/heat, re-evaluate your bed/couch/chair, etc.

Hand shakiness is not weakness, widespread twitching and cramps, and muscle jerks, point away from ALS. Keep working with your docs.

Good luck in finding out whatever is going on. Take good care.

Anna, you have an appointment in three weeks until then you
are not helping your symptoms.

You are only 36 years old, we’ve written countless times the
odds of anyone that age being diagnosed with ALS is extremely
rare with ALS being considered a rare disease itself.

You say you can’t stop Googling. What happens with that?
This…you wrote you are pretty sure this is ALS. You haven’t
been seen by a Neurologist yet.

I see you have “Liked” our two extremely ALS knowledgeable
member replies, both Moderators. Good for you… now follow
their advice.

I hope the path to curing your painful symptoms comes soon.

Thanks everyone for your answers. I know that only doctor can give me that answer.

But I still want to ask you all:

1. What comes first weakness ( failure) or muscle atrophy? I clearly see that the part of my bicep near to the armpit is atrofied (not even, loose skin) and it’s not my imagination. I haven’t had it even a week ago.
2. Is it common body part for onset?

Anna,

It's time to stop researching and focusing on ALS. You've received answers from the knowledgeable members here, been provided a link with much information and been advised to speak with your doctor at your appointment. We find that if people are not reassured by the link, or who don't believe the answers they've already been given by members here, and return to keep asking more questions despite being told it doesn't sound like ALS, it means they will not be reassured no matter how many times their questions are answered. This forum is not set up to provide support for those who are anxious about ALS, only to provide basic information- which you have already received.

Only a doctor can assess whether you have atrophy. Loose skin is not atrophy.

Please wait for your doctor visit. You may be trying to reduce your anxiety by constant researching and asking for increasingly specific details, but you are actually adding to your stress. It's like an itch, and the more you scratch, the itchier you get.

Please take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back