Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
nj
City
bayonne
hi everyone i remember someone telling someone in another thread that Hypercortisolism or a thyroid problem also can mimic some als symptoms. i was just wondering if that was true or if anybody has been tested for that condition.

I am no expert, but I hear a lot about the thyroid and symptoms. I would think that when the neuro orders up all the original blood work that would be one of the things they are looking at. I could be wrong, but I just assumed that was one of the starting points to rule out?

Hello mjk201

Elevated levels of cortisol (a hormone produced by the adrenal glands) will lead to Cushing's Syndrome or Cushing's Disease, depending on the reason the levels of cortisol are high. The symptoms of both of those conditions are unlike those of ALS.

As far as thyroid problems and ALS: elevated levels of thyroid will lead to an increase in metabolic rate which could certainly lead to weight loss, including the loss of muscle, which are certainly signs of ALS . . . in addition to possibly causing fasciculations, which is also a sign of ALS. However, hyperthyroidism would also lead to elevated heart rate, heat intolerance, and a multitude of other symptoms that are not related to ALS symptoms.

I hope that helps.

Hello mjk201

Elevated levels of cortisol (a hormone produced by the adrenal glands) will lead to Cushing's Syndrome or Cushing's Disease, depending on the reason the levels of cortisol are high. The symptoms of both of those conditions are unlike those of ALS.

As far as thyroid problems and ALS: elevated levels of thyroid will lead to an increase in metabolic rate which could certainly lead to weight loss, including the loss of muscle, which are certainly signs of ALS . . . in addition to possibly causing fasciculations, which is also a sign of ALS. However, hyperthyroidism would also lead to elevated heart rate, heat intolerance, and a multitude of other symptoms that are not related to ALS symptoms.

I hope that helps.

thanks because i was reading that cushings can also cause atrophy. just asking cause i remember you saying that in als twitching in more the one part of the body isn't a normal als sign. please correct me if i'm wrong. i don't want to misinterprate anything anyone says on here. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back