Does atrophy always present with weakness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristin01

Country
US
State
CA
City
San Diego
I have a quick question. The anxiety I have been feeling is once again through the roof. I was wondering if atrophy always presents with at least a moderate amount of weakness in ALS. Last night I was stretched out and just happened to notice that my left foot has a much more prominent tendon than the right foot. It is the tendon that runs all the way from the ankle down the center of the foot. It is the same tendon that is prominent in Olly's foot pictures. I can't even see this tendon on the other foot unless I flex it a certain way, and even then it is not as obvious. I have never noticed this before, but then again, I've never looked for it either. I can balance on that foot, even on my tippy toes. Could this be the beginning of atrophy? I would appreciate any opinions on this matter as I feel like I am close to a nervous break down. Thank you.

I would tend to think that if you can still stand tippy toed you don't have much atrophy going on. Weakness is usually noticed before atrophy. Relax.

AL.

hi kristin

i agree with al,you would notice some degree of weakness first.
in answer to your questions........................................................
the weakness started with the loss of contraction in the left lower leg,i did have some foot drop in that foot when i first started with umn symptoms.
now i tend to drag the lower leg and foot when walking ,sometimes is does not want to move.
my foot and ankle is weak,my ankle and foot flops down when i lift my foot up.
the atrophy has progressed very slowly,now it is very obvious in my inner ankle.
also my arch has collapsed in that foot,and i can no longer wiggle or spread out the three middle toes and they are now curling up.

i think foot problems are caused in most cases by weakness in the lower leg muscles.
i do have balance issues so standing on two feet is a problem lol,in pt if they held me i can stand on one foot for about 30 seconds but i did notice it would be less and more difficult on the left foot/leg.
my sons feet are so skinny(and big),all his tendons stick out but thats just him.
my left foot was my bigger foot and in my pics you can clearly see a difference to the right,the inner ankle has got worse since i posted a pic of it so may update that.

i hope this answers your questions:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back