wright

Very helpful member
Country
US
State
xx
City
xxxx
Does anyone know why ALS almost always starts distally . . . that is . . . in the hands and the feet . . . and why it "marches" from one muscle to another muscle? It's a disease that kills motor neurons in the spinal cord, so you'd think that it would affect muscles closer to the trunk of the body first. I have looked all over the internet and have found nothing on this subject.
And does anyone know why it usually starts with one limb and why it starts with either upper or lower limbs? I'm just trying to get a grasp of this disease and learn as much as I can . . . and it seems there are a lot of intelligent people on this site that can lend their insight.
Thanks again for you time.

think peripheral

It is a perpherial neuromuscluler (sp)disease, not a central nervous system disease....so it starts with the furthest nerves from the brain i and works it's way in and up... as the nerves die off, the body recruits the next set, on so on until, there are none left to recruit...the kicker is, ALS is different in everyone, so noone know how long the progressions are...the devil himself could not think up a nastier disease...

ALS is a central disease, Siuska. It affects the motor neurons of the brainstem and the anterior horn of the spinal cord. It's effects are certainly in the periphery, but that is because the central neurons have outputs to the peripheral neurons.
I'm still trying to decipher why the symptoms start in the hands and feet when it is limb onset.

MINE STARTED IN MY TONGUE AND THEN TOOK 6 YEARS TO GO TO MY ARMS. SO THERE IS NO ONE ANSWER i KNOW PEOPLE THAT HAVE DIFFERENT ONSETS SOME START DROPPING THINGS SOME FALL SOME HAVE SPEECH ONSET SOME START WITH VERY VAGUE PROBLEMS THATS WHY ITS SO HARD TO DX

My post was asking about limb-onset and why it starts in the hands and feet first (foot drop or trouble buttoning shirt or turning keys for examples) and then moves up the arm one muscle at a time. Does anyone know why the nerves in the hands and feet are affected before the nerves in the muscles closer to the trunk of the body. While I'm at it, does anyone know why the trunk muscles are affected last with limb-onset?

Breathing last to be affected with limb onset?

My husband started with limb onset (hands) then it went up his arms to his shoulders, back & stomach. Now his legs are getting weaker. He got a left foot AFO a month ago. (Which he is not wearing!:evil:) My question is whether breathing is usually (I know, with emphasis on usually) the last to be affected. Will his speech & swallowing show problems first? I am so proud of him, though. He got his Cpap machine last Wednesday and has used it every night! :-D He likes it because he wakes up without all the congestion he usually has. If anyone has any insight on the breathing question, it is much appreciated.

Here's wishing everyone an early happy Valentine's Day!:wink:

Linda

Lithium

Has anyone seen the lithium study in Italy?
We recently started this protocol.
I know this sounds ridiculous but is there anyway to excercise the epiglotis? My husband has a Peg bu I would love to try whatever it takes so he could enjoy a meal instead of using his feeding tube.
Thanks

Have you joined the international spreadsheet for Lithium? If not, please reply and I'll give you the link. I started Lithium 2 days ago. Keep us posted on hopefully the lack of progress!

Sharonca

Rick's ALS started with sleep apnea and congestion... then the deterioration of his calf muscles. He still has no symptoms in his hands or feet. I guess everyone is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back