pebbles

Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
City
Rockton
Hi, I've posted before but while I'm awaiting my next neuro visit I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to have muscle soreness for lengths of time. I have read conflicting things on when muscles hurt so any info. would be appreciated. I have left hand and arm weakness and left leg weakness which is rapidly progressing. I walk with a distinct limp now. My leg trembles if asked to do too much. It also has for the last year hurt as if I have done an intense workout after not working out for a long time. (I have not worked out in a long time though :lol:) Mostly my left glute is sore on one side but occasionally the other side hurts (when sitting). If I stretch my leg in the morning while still in bed they are sore. At the end of the day my thigh can ache. I have been seeing a neurologist for two years and recently hyper reflexes have kicked in on left leg and arm. Have had clean emg on left arm. Head neck and spine mri's with contrast all fine. Constant twitching for years. Clean urine catch. But some people say ALS doesn't hurt until the end and I have had intermitten pain/aching for the last four years. Is it a symptom or does it look like a positive finding? Thank you

If you scroll to the bottom of this page there are several threads listed there that you can click on to find more information. You might find an answer there, if not I hope you get lots of responses here.

I have also heard that als does not involve pain and I do personally know someone who has had limb onset for 4 years and has not had any pain...BUT I can tell you, I have immense pain, not cramp, though I have had that, but real pain. In my hips, when I lie on the right one in bed, and my left arm and shoulder is dreadull, it feels like someone has stabbed me and is twisting the knife...and it is now beginning to happen to my right arm. My husband says, that if there is no pain in als, then maybe I have something else. But I was diagnosed by 3 neuros, one classed as about the top one in the uk, one in an mnd clinic and a general neuro.

I have pain in my left shoulder when I lie on it. Right hip gets sore sleeping on that side. I know it's pain from no muscle left and pressure on joints. I've got 6 years of this affliction now. I never had pain in the early stages.

AL.

I have a lot of pain in atrophied areas, and pain from stiffness. So that is what the pain is from, spastic muscles can cause a boat load of pain.

Thanks for responding. I'm hoping to get some answers at the end of the month (although this is a new doctor so maybe it will just be a meet and greet). The pain was the first thing to start, both in my arm and in my legs but they peoceeded symptoms by maybe a year then stopped in their severity but continued to occur. Maybe they are connected, maybe not. Ugh. I don't know how doctors can make heads or tails if I'm confused. I orignally did not tell the doctors about the pain because I thought it was mid-life aches. And maybe it is! If I was a drinking person I'd have several glasses of wine. Instead I'll scrounge up some chocolate :) I honestly thought it was a pinched nerve two years ago...but here I am two years later with growing symptoms, a referral and no diagnosed. I think I only have a spinal tap and muscle biopsy left. And that they are waiting till the symptoms become conclusive. Ok I'm gonna locate some chocolate now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back