Diagnosis
12/2014
Country
US
State
PA
City
Lancaster
I have been thinking a lot about different things I need to get done while I can. Obviously a will is needed. What other documents should I get done and if a lawyer is not needed where would I find them?

thanks, peter

Power of attorney
Plus health care proxy
Plus advanced directives- what you want in certain situations. I have seen five wishes recommended here
Are you a DNR? Do you wish to be now? You need paperwork for that immediately on hand otherwise you will be resuscitated by emergency personnel if something happens and they are called. Just because we are not at the end of our ALS journey does not mean we could not have something else happen. One of our previous mods Richard died suddenly while napping. I think they thought it was a heart attack

I will try and find all of these, then maybe we could create a sticky from the list?

Pretty much what I just posted is number one on the anticipatory planning sticky. I don't think links would help as the different states have different rules. Let alone other countries

Add an Out of Hospital Do Not Resuscitate form to the list. This allows EMS to transport you to the hospital without being required to do CPR if you arrest on the way. It also covers care in the Emergency Room. A standard DNR only applies once you have been admitted to the hospital, not in the ER or during transport to the hospital. EMS has to be able to find the form and recommend keeping it with your medications as they will look for them. They also check your refrigerator for insulin so that is another place to keep a copy.

You will want copies of your Living Will (not as legally binding, more guidelines to your wishes, and may not cover the situation you are in or have been updated to reflect you current wishes or new treatments available), Medical Power of Attorney also called Health Care Proxy. (Requires frequent discussion to assure that the person knows your current wishes.) Power of Attorney(allows signing of financial forms) and Do Not Resuscitate order for hospital use. Nursing Homes a Hospice may require DNR's or have a policy stating that resuscitation will not be done.

In addition to giving copies to each of your doctors, keep copies in the file you take to any medically related appointment. It is important to have a current list of medications, allergies, insurance cards, name and phone numbers for all you physicians and any home health agencies. I also have the info on type, brand, size and date inserted or changed for my feeding tube and trach.

Having medical problems is a lot of work!

Weird you mention this Pete. We are in the process of getting wills done, through a lawyer, there is so much involved! Plus the lawyer is in Perth therefore yet another trip just to sign it all...nothing is straightforward.
Hope you don't find the process too difficult, mentally and emotionally.
God bless, Janelle x

Pete, there is lots of advise on this topic in past threads. Do a search for preparation or planning ahead. Great information.

search for 'five wishes'

Don't forget your login and password information for forums, social media, banking, bills, etc. I have created a document for my wife that has links and all the information.

My hubby made a list of to dos for me- who to contact, when,etc. things like car maintenance, weed control application, furnace tune ups, etc. - things I wouldn't have a clue about. He also gave me a list of friends, phone numbers, etc. of people I wouldn't have info on but might need to contact.

You will need a list of any job, retirement companies etc, with phone numbers and accou t numbers for life insurance and 401k accounts. Also credit cards and anything you might have in your name only. Remeber the lawyer can make all these co tacts for you and not burden your wife.

If the PALS is still working, I would also include their HR personnel and contact info on the list.

Pete, I would get the power of attorney immediately. I have had to sign for Steve a lot in the last 3 months. Always best to have it before you need it. We took care of his documents but this is a good reminder I need to take care of mine as well.

I have hit the ground running in the last 2 months, because I think I found out about my disease pretty late. I went to an estate attorney and I have put my house in a trust, and I have a pour over will. That way, any monies that come to me after my death will dump right into my estate with no penalties. I also have a Durable power of attorney, a health proxy and Advanced Directives. My kids and friends know my wishes. I am also talking to my father's attorney to have a provision put in his will so that when he passes, my half of his estate also pours into my will (estate) and those assets are protected for my kids.

There's a lot to organize, but I guess that's one of the few positives of this disease that we can prepare for some of this...

>There's a lot to organize, but I guess that's one of the few positives of this disease that we can prepare for some of this...

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back