Diagnosis
5/2008
Country
US
State
Ga
City
Snellville
We have a ALSA at Emory here in Ga. They are great when its time for equipment, new, or loaner stuff. I still want to go to clinic to support research and such, but when it comes to treating my symptoms, and quality of life...they do not hear me! I'm thinking I would get better and more personalized care by seeing a "not so busy" Neurologist.
The question is...Will Medicare let me Doctor hop like that? My primary Dr has been giving me the cold shoulder for a while now. I think he is starting to worry about liability now that I am showing progression.
Thanks!

If you have straight Medicare or a supplemental you can "doctor hop" as much as you want. If you have a Medicare Advantage plan then you're basically in an HMO and have limited choices.

Tom

Phil, the unhappy fact is there really isn't any way for doctors to "treat" your symptoms or improve your quality of life. My hospice doctor was here this afternoon and when she left I realized nothing would change. There wasn't a damn thing she could suggest that would improve my situation. I'm already stuffed with pain pills, anti-depressants, anti-pee pills, etc. I've found the best way to combat it is to escape. I get involved in a good book, watch something entertaining on TV, talk with people, or eat. Sometimes I make sure the pets are fed and content, and then I take a nap. That's the best escape of all.
Carol

Actually, you can improve quality of life with PT and OT. Maintaining range of motion is an enormous benefit to my PALS and me. Medicare and private insurance will not cover it for MS patients, ALS patients, etc. unless there is improvement. This is being currently being re-evaluated. Hopefully, this will change soon, and all MND patients can benefit from therapy.

I'm glad the PT and OT are working for your PALS Missy. For Glen, we gave up the OT after a while because it was more exhausting for him than it was beneficial. As always, one must be careful generalizing with ANYTHING in this disease!

EI understand what your saying Carol. I'm far enough along to recognize the untouchable symptoms, but my complaints are manageable. My pain treatment has not changed in over a year. My pain is getting worse while my tolerance is too high for what I have been taking.
the other problem may be as simple as changing formulas. These problems can be fixed IMO. I'm not asking for the impossible.
Phil

Phil, I think you make a good point. Sometimes you need someone willing to think "outside the box" as far as managing symptoms with different meds than those your body has grown tolerant to. Good luck to you!

Phil, totally agree with you about Emory. They are great when it comes to paperwork and equipment but talk about horrible bedside manner when it comes to one doctor in particular! It's like they don't hear a word we say sometimes and we seem like a nuisance to them. It's almost like we go for their benefit not ours, like they look at us like their lab rats!

Phil, do you have any "Pain Management" doctors or clinics in your area? I think that would be a realistic thing to ask for, whether your primary care doc does the referral or Emory, or wherever. Here, the pain management doctors are often anesthesiologists who stopped doing surgery and began helping those in pain.

Phi, I believe that yu do not have to pay anything for the regular clinic visits at Emory because the MDA pays for it. Therefore your insurance should still allow you to see another Dr. I still see my original Neurologist, Dr. David Williams, who went to Emory and trained under Dr. Glass and also has a wonderful bedside manner!

Toby, thats exactly how I feel. We are just a number at Emory, and they are reluctant to stray from what works for most their patients.

Ann, my primary claims to be a pain management, but I think he is worried about treating me now. He was good in the early stages. They are cracking down on pain clinics in Ga right now.

Ted. Is that Dr at Gwinnett Medical? That would be real close to where I live.

Phil: North Ga Neurological Assoc. M. Todd Williamson. Lawrenceville next to I-85.

So sorry Phil. This really sucks! And I agree with you! We've been trying to get an rx for a week for my husband from them. They have no real solutions, even though we bring it to them.

Too many patients? I dunno.

Phil, the Dr I recommended is at Emory midtown and Piedmont but not Emory U. He is a wonderful person, with a great bedside manner and takes his time with you. While I have not had issues at Emory U, I would guess the issue is that besides seeing patients he is doing several research projects, Director of the Clinic, writing papers, requesting Grants etc. I think in general the place could use more staffing but they do the best they can and I believe they care.

Phil, me again, my aide just put a lidocaine patch on my shoulder to dull the pain that goes up into my head. It's helping a lot. She suggested I ask the hospice dr. if I could get a prescription for lidocaine. They never think of anything else besides pain pills. I guess they're not pain management doctors. But if they're palliative carers, don't they want to help you be more comfortable? Let's see what they say on Monday. I can't go anywhere because my van/pc don't work together anymore. I think I'm becoming a little agoraphobic because of it, not by choice, but by circumstance.
keep trying!
Carol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back