Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
ut
City
salt lake city
Hi everyone,

I have been having fasciculations throughout my body (mostly in my calves and hands) since Jan 2016. I did a EMG in 2016 and the doctor said it was benign fasciculation syndrome. Now to 2018, I was recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease (gluten) and have been experiencing more twitching and now tingling/numbness with occasional tiredness/brain fog. The tingling and numbness is mostly in my left hand but also I feel it in my toes sometimes. The symptoms come and go. Today the doctor ordered me a brain MRI and also said he wanted me to do the EMG again. I have been trying to get over the concern of having ALS but am wondering why he would have ordered another EMG. Should I be concerned about this? Has anyone else had a doctor do this before? I'm very nervous about everything that's been going on and would appreciate any support you could provide.

Thank you

Last edited:
It doesn’t sound anything at all like ALS. You describe 2 years of symptoms with a sensory component. That is not ALS, and if you had ALS then you would have certainly experienced muscle function failure after 2 years.

There are many other reasons to get an EMG. If someone has numbness in a particular nerve root distribution, an EMG is often done along with nerve conduction studies to see if there is weakness in the distribution of the affected nerve root.

Last edited:
Celiac disease can deplete nutrients that might bear on your symptoms. I would ask about a nutritional consultation to make sure you correct any deficiencies and set a good foundation for the future.

But no, I would not be concerned about ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back