12/2010
Country
US
State
Pennsylvania
City
SW
Hello everyone,

A very short question: Do your arms ache?

In the past week, I've had a deep ache in my forearms and hands. I don't have any muscle wasting in my arms or hands, although they are smaller in size, perhaps, due to decreased use. As I think about it, this is essentially similar to the discomfort (and pain) that I usually have in both legs.

Any structural causes (like nerve impingement in the neck, for example) have been ruled out, although you just never know....right?

The above can be symptomatic of MANY conditions, I understand. But thought I'd ask...

Thank you!

Mike

Short answer: all the time.

I even had a bout just about a week ago when I tried to pick up a 1/2 full bottle of bleach, (I got ambitious and wanted to clean the guest bathroom) and strained the tendon on the right wrist. I couldn't move my hand or put any type of pressure on it for a few days. It still hurts, but at least I am able to type again. I keep forgetting to wear my braces for my thumbs and wrists when I do anything that requires lifting something. I do have mild atrophy, not sure that its from disuse, because I use my arms and hands frequently. You would think that even the typing on the key board would keep my hands from atrophy, but yet there are grooves there that have developed over the past year. But keep in mind, I have been dealing with this for over 21+ years.

some reason my post went to moderator.

short answer was yes.

Mike,
my arms hurt almost as much as my legs, just not constantly. sometimes feels like a 'charlie horse'. fortunately they haven't lost any strength yet otherwise i wouldn't be able to get and out of my van as they have to pull and lift me into it, legs won't lift me at all.

Mike
My arms and hands hurt often, especially when I’m really spastic. It seems to build over time, I lower my baclofen intake during the week to help with staying awake at work and by Friday my shoulders, arms and hands are in knots. Haven’t found much to help, except go back up on the baclofen. Hence the love/hate relationship with baclofen I mentioned in an earlier post.

Mike

Hi Mike,
At your shoulders, are your arms starting to hang a little out of the shoulder socket? Like if you lifted your arm at your elbow, it could go back into socket a little? If that is happening, some of the pain may be from that. Try to rest your arms on the arm rest of a chair, or on a pillow when you sit so that they don't strain down and they have a little bit of rest.
Also, the charlie horses seem to happen in the arms (my husband use to complain about that). If you could get someone to lightly massage the arm and muscles, it really seems to help.
Mary

I've lost 33 pounds in a little over 5 months. Mostly off my legs, arms and shoulders. I keep 3 Baclofen on my night stand next to the bed with a glass of water, as soon as I wake up that is the first thing I do. My waist size has dropped from 38 to 36 and those now are getting loose. But... I still do have my little Bud Light tummy though. :)

Yup, arms hurt almost always. I used to do a lot of yoga but can't anymore because for one thing, I just don't have the strength, but it is just too painful to bear any weight with my arms or hands. I was holding a baby at a Xmas party and after a few minutes had to hand her off. My arms ached the rest of the day. They shake a lot too, when I keep them in the same position. I've been knitting a lot for Xmas gifts and I think its going to take me a month to recover!

Hi Mary, I think you hit the proverbial nail on the head - that is an excellent observation! I'll do exactly as you suggest. Thank you!

Mike, I have the same ambivalent relationship with my "jar" of baclofen. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back