Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Crowley
hi everyone , I'm looking for your opinions not to be bashed. I'm 20 & have just had a child about 2 months ago. During my pregnancy I noticed my jaw started feeling heavy/feeling like I'm developing a underbite and this is still happening to this day. Well about a week ago I started noticing weakness in my left hand eventually one day I could barley open my hand without struggle. I went to the E.R & the Dr gave me a splint saying it was Carpal Tunnel and he could tell because my thumb muscles were scalloped (in both hands) he said "this is nothing new for you". I have noticed when I hold my child I hold her with her butt on my forearm and my wrist curled holding her butt (primarily left hand) so maybe this is why. I went to dentist yesterday and he said he thinks jaw is from clenching or wisdom teeth but other than that sees no reason my jaw should be feeling heavy/ like it's moving forward. Well now I'm noticing weakness in my left leg too. Also I have noticed my words coming out wrong sometimes...Idk I am getting in my own head but I need your opinion.

Carpal tunnel is commonly in pregnancy and post partum.

None of this sounds like ALS and you are reporting issues in 3 separate areas. ALS starts in one area spreads there and only then moves on.

You obviously have a lot going on with your life and your body with a new baby and being post partum. Look to rest ( ha ha with a little one) and nutrition and work with your pcp.

Thank you Nikki I have been so scared about this I an having massive anxiety attacks. I hope you are right.

Can Anxiety be causing my so called "symptoms"

Hi I want to thank everyone reading this for taking time out of your day to read this. This is my second post , as I stated before my issue started with heavy lower jaw and than stiffness in my fingers and hands. Since than I googled and found ALS and have been having more symptoms and having anxiety attacks because I've convinced myself I'm having more symptoms and feeling weakness in other places. I've basically convinced myself I have ALS & I haven't even been to the doctor. I guess what I'm saying is do you think my anxiety is contributing to these so called weakness symptoms I think I'm getting ?
Thank you for taking time out of your day to read this I am just really having problems mentally with this.

Short answer. Yes the mind is very powerful

Work with your doctor

Kindly read thoroughly the important post at the top of the subforum. There is a lot of information there about symptoms. There is also a section on posting rules you are only allowed one open thread in this subforum. I merged this one for you.

Second everything Nikki said, Halee. You're a young mom and the challenges such as lack of sleep can very strongly affect your body -- but also ask your dentist about a night guard if you are clenching.

Best,
Laurie

so sorry for opening another thread. so with my symptoms of "heavy" lower jaw , stiff hands, weakness in right arm and leg. Do you all think I can rule out ALS?

Also let me add I have Graves Disease / Hyperthyroidism & I'm Anemic

Nothing in your posts sound like ALS.

Please work with your doctor on the issues you've posted.

Best wishes.

Hi my name is Halee I just delivered my beautiful baby girl in May , I have posted here before but symptoms have gotten worse. Both my hands have became very stiff and ecspecially in my pinky finger. First throughout pregnancy I had stiff/heavy lower jaw , than after delivery the stiff hands began. I than found ALS online and my anxiety went through the roof I got weakness in my left leg and left arm. I also have HORRIBLE balance and stumble all the time. I also constantly yawn. I also have began twitching ALL over my body (even my tongue)??!!! I have seen a neurologist who before even testing me says "you don't have ALS do not worry". But I am having frequent crying spells and anxiety attacks. I'm only 19 and I'm really convinced this is ALS. Why are my hands stiff? They did bood testing for inflammation and nothing came back. Let me add I have hyperthyroidism and Graves Disease and take Methimazole. I have heard als has started with stiffness in hands and I'm going crazy.

Halee, I hate to see you go through this. But I must say that what you're experiencing is nothing at all like ALS.

Your doctor is right. Also, the experts here on this website have reviewed everything you've written and see no reason to think about ALS.

I know it is difficult to accept, but for the sake of your own health and your new family, you need to get some therapy to help you calm down.

Finally, I have to say, too, that while we understand you are hurting, we have to focus on our members needs. Our members have ALS, and you don't--at all.

Good luck to you.

thank you Mike... I think I am going through so postpartum issues and just need to calm down. Your words are so helpful to me you will never truly know. I'm sorry for any inconvenience I have caused and will no longer post + get some mental health for the sake of my family.

All the blessings
-halee

My hands have gotten worse. They shake when I extend my fingers and make them straight and the stiffness is still there. There is also muscle pain in my hand and in my wrist/forearm. I have read that 30% of cases start with stiff and weak hands. I'm only 19 I have lost all hope. I know I said I wouldn't post again but I didn't expect my hands to get worse. These symptoms are not caused by Graves Disease, I haven't found anyone with Graves experiencing the same thing but the doctors seem to thing it's carpal tunnel? Or inflammation from Graves Disease , okay so why the weakness. I just don't know how I can have stiff weak hands and balance issues/excess yawning and it NOT be ALS. I'm at my lowest

Plus twitches everywhere including hands and feet + tongue...

Halee, you have now been told by several extremely knowledgeable members here that you do not have ALS. I will also add that you do not have ALS.

So there is no need for you to continue posting here. It serves no purpose other than to fuel your anxiety. If you have additional questions, please address them with your personal physician, not here.

Time for you to move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back