Diagnosis
05/2017
Country
US
State
IA
City
Cedar Rapids
About walking and running? Because I’m very over it. I want MY love back and it sucks to wake up and it was just a dream. The whole week has been 💩 and I’m still annoyed with that dream.

Yes. Dreams, hope all an illusion. I face the day as - this is the best day because tomorrow will be worse. Yippee…

Hi, Mama.
I am a bit over four years in, and am still having those dreams. Fortunately, they don't annoy me. Mine are typically along the lines of I am walking somewhere, or riding a bicycle, or playing softball, and at some point I think to myself "Gee, I am doing this pretty well for having ALS". I usually find it amusing when I wake up. On the other hand, I have never been an avid runner, so if you loved running I can see it would be more disappointing to awaken from that dream.

I hope the rest of the week is better. :)

Regards,

Just ignore the post. I’m whining. I’m five years in, it’s my 45th birthday, and I’m very over it. Struggling with joy today. I’m sure once I get past the birthday, I’ll feel more like my non- negative self.

I think this is an important post - to recognize our dreams, thoughts, desires and how they present a challenge. I hear friends talk about going skiing and running in races - I get jealous and then feel remorse. Friends ask me if I’m in pain - I tell them for me it is more of a mental challenge. Yes it is a physical challenge but the mental aspect is enormous. I think it is crucial to recognize these feelings. Ty for posting this.

belated birthday wishes. It’s your party you can cry if you want to….

seriously though I don’t dream a lot to remember but my dreams often have my late family in them and no one has ALS. Most often my sister. And it is very sad to wake up

Nikki is right. The verse continues, "You would cry too if it happened to you". You are on a difficult part of the path and are entitled to whine sometimes.

I also agree with Jeff; the mental struggle is enormous and somehow we must recognize and deal with our feelings, each in our own way.

Best regards,

Personally, I am trying to adjust my dreams. We have been regular RVers and bikers. Fairly active.
Now, I have to live with trying to sell the RV and related equipment, my bikes and related equipment, my woodworking tools. Still trying to figure out how to substitute- if I can.
Yes, it seems our dreams have come to an end.
Yes it is disturbing.

BUT, I do have a body of people committed to being my support. They can listen and help me remember the past and completed dreams!
That is my source of go-forward strength

I am having very vivid dreams I can remember for days. The dreams
seem to be frustration dreams. I’m like in big convention centers,
(My wife and I used to work do product shows for her company)
I’ll be on a lower level and can’t find an elevator to get up to the show
floor to help her. I ask people where the elevator is and no one
is sure. My phone doesn’t work to call her.

Then I have dreams where I come out of a place and I can’t find the car.
And dreams where I can’t remember how to do things I once did…
no one is around to help me.

Fortunately they don’t happen too often but they are so vivid.

AlDowns,

I see you are new and I thank you for being positive. I actually meant literal dreams - as in what happens when I sleep. Five years in and 45, I’m incredibly aware all my dreams/expectations/hopes for the future have had to be adjusted but I do appreciate your positivity. It’s so very necessary.

Adding, because, LOL, even with my most healthy body, running would never have been high on the “hopes for the future” list. ;) Although… should ALS be cured tomorrow, I could be persuaded to take it up.

Al - yes!! I don’t dream often either, but the vividness of walking sticks with me. I wake up thinking, “Hope silly! Of course I can walk!” Then I remember… and I don’t want to move my leg to find out which “reality” is real.

I have vivid dreams with some regularity. I often find myself in situations where I am walking around thinking to myself I'm not supposed to be able to do this--but continuing to walk. The dreams are often involving people from my past (but often not) and are quite surreal, though logical in dreamlike ways. Not infrequently I partially wake up then go back to sleep and continue the same dream. in general I enjoy them.

Ed

@Clearwater AL, what you describe sounds like many of my dreams, especially problems with elevators and phones. Ugh. 😡

I to have my dreams they always involve the guys I used to work with and the situations that we used to find ourselves in, some were fun others were not. I used to wake up longing for the old days now I just wake up and the wife will ask me if I was at work last night and I will just say yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back