Diagnosis
09/2008
Country
US
State
Arkansas
City
Lamar
did anyone get backpay for there SSD? My husband got approved within 30 days because of the ALS but we were told ther was no backpay because he was not denied. It just has a 5 month waiting period before you start receiving SSD. It sounded like some people got backpay, or was you denied to start with?

I think the back pay is only if the claim was originally denied. Although not 100% certain, I think that regardless of how quickly it is approved, there is still a 6 month wait. However, he will have medicare at 5 months. Whether or not they notify him about it remains to be seen....

The back pay has to do with when you quit working.
If you had to quit doing what you did say construction May 07 because of hands but it took till May 08 to find out it was ALS. During this time you didn't work anywhere else. They would go from May 07, 5 months and say Oct 07 you qualify as disabled and pay Nov, Dec 07 and Jan - May 08 as back then regular pay on.
Medicare if you pay the premium (the $98 per month) could also be back dated to the Oct 07 and could pay any drs bills during that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back