Diagnosis
12/2011
Country
US
State
Tx
City
NB
I mean for me.....not my Mom who has been stricken by this horrible disease. I don't know if it is the meds she is on or the FTD she has, probably a combo of them both. She has very little emotions going on. I ask her all the time......However, I am amazed at how many emotions I can go through in a short period of time. Happy, content, sad, sobs, anger, fear, numbness......but the crying comes at least once a day.

Yes. It gets better. At least it did for me...but a picture or a song can still set me off.

I hate to tell you, but that is the norm. How can you not have these range of emotions? You are grieving at the loss of your mother as she dwindles before your eyes. Just know that you are experiencing what every cALS goes through. Also know that you are doing the best you can to be with her on this journey. This is the one of the hardest things you will ever have to do.

Sending you strength and courage.

Well said, Brooksea!
The varying emotions of grief will come and go as you travel this journey with your Mom.
We'll be here to listen anytime time you feel like a good rant.
As one of our dear forum friends always said, "We're all in this together"

In my case tears got replaced by deep sadness and exhaustion. And anger.

No, for me it never stops... I cry every day, I generally try to limit it to my shower but some days I just can't.

Jen

When I cry my husband takes it personal thinking he has done something then his chest hurts him so I try not to cry doesn't always work

Caldona,
My world too! I used to cry on the way to work, but don't have that option now...just the shower Orr the therapists office when I get to go alone!

Jen

I cried every day for a couple of years--usually in the car on my way to work and on my way home. Sometimes I would just scream and scream. In the very beginning, I use to crawl under my desk at work sob in the middle of the day too. after I got on anti-depressants I was able to function much better. I am still overwelmed by bouts of fear and sadness but at least I am not bawling all the time.

Wow, reading my post I sound Like a lunatic! LOL

I guess we all do what we have to to make thru each day...

Barbie,
I think we all become a bit nuts... Lol. The only way to maintain our sanity!

Jen

Grief has several stages. The crying will stop and other emotions will surface. It is normal to feel them all. You have a lot to cry about. This is a tragic disease.

I am saddened, also mad on times, and try not to cry in front of hubby cos he can't deal with it or he blames himself, then he's in a mood for hours!

I think that's why I don't cry so much. It makes him sad and I cant stand it when hes sad.

I cry. A lot. I try not to cry in front of my husband - cuz he'll cry too - and how sad that makes me. Thankfully, usually my crying episodes are short cloud bursts. I hate the thunderous flood bouts - but sometimes - these can't be avoided.. and often as rain brings flowers - tears lead to bigger and longer hugs, which lead to smiles. Wholehearted, grateful, in the moment type of smiles.
And then - when least expected, the cycle repeats.

I'm glad to know that I am not the only one. I can cry everyday and then I get mad and I feel like I,m grieving. My crying spells are in the car when I'm alone. My emotions are right on the surface. I have to remind myself to enjoy what we have right now and be grateful and then I start the cycle all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back