Do shizophrenia and ALS have same roots, so it can be treatead the same way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
way, Way, WAY too early to get excited.

There's small chance it'll get to and thru Trials.

When they successfully complete Ph. II, THAT'S the time to get hopeful.

OTO, it does show someone's working on it. :)

:shock: nup I'm not saying a word :shock:

I worked as a nurse in emergency psychiatry most of my nursing career so Pimozide was in my bailiwick. The study sounds interesting. Lest anyone decide to dabble on their own and take their relative's stash of Pimozide, there are many many side effects to most of the anti-psychotic medications that can be very unpleasant and need to be monitored. Many people on anti-psychotic medication have to take a drug called Cogentin to counter act the extra-pyramidal side effects that many experience. In a nutshell the Pimozide could cause major jerky muscle stiffness along with a few other things. But anti-psychotics that are monitored by medical personnel are relatively safe. I will follow the study as it is very interesting.

well, we don't know anyone with schizophrenia... so how would we get a hold of the drug? are doctors in the US willing to risk and prescribe such medications based on such preliminary results?

For drugs to get FDA approval in the US, they have to go through phase I, phase II, and phase III trials. It looks like the drug here has only been through phase I — animal studies and a small number of humans. Phase III is where you test it on a large group of people, some of whom get placebo. It can take years in some cases before it goes all the way to FDA approval, if it ever does. Until then, you probably won’t get a doctor willing to prescribe it, as the optimal dose and risks in ALS haven’t been studied and there’s too much liability until it gets approval. You can also pretty much guarantee that the price will go way up if and when it gets approved.

well, we don't know anyone with schizophrenia... so how would we get a hold of the drug? are doctors in the US willing to risk and prescribe such medications based on such preliminary results?

You'd be foolish to do so.

Reread the comments, this drug has serious side effects and it's effect on ALS is unknown. It's also statistically unlikely to help.

Anyone attempting this could well do serious damage.

I dont know about the medication piece but my husband had genes to increase probability of Parkinsons, schizophrenia, bi polar, and dementia. There was no red flag per se that he would have these diseases but he was genetically pre disposed.

I think thru time, we are going to find many common threads between ALS and other diseases. The antipsychotic med idea scares the crap out of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back