Do i potentially have an early sign/s of progressive Bulbar Onset ALS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimson_1

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
PH
City
Cainta, Rizal
Hi there, everyone. So my name is Miguel, i'm 21 years old and i'm a Filipino (so excuse me if if i would have a broken english narrative along the way.) So recently like a week ago, i've first started having this weird mild deep pain from the left joint of my right knee and the next day, i felt some minor stiffness and cramps so i had the urge to search it on google on what it was and then ALS came up for some reason. So, i felt a bit anxious about it and when my friend reminded me that it might be a side effect from my flu vaccine shot then after looking it up, i think i had a mild case of myaglia. It was already resolved when i've learned about it and felt relieved but then i knew that it could also have an onset on the Bulbar area.

So after my 1st anxiety attack, i kept on like speaking this phrase with a fast phase applied into it originally and then for some reason i didn't pronounced it correctly until i managed to say it again perfectly and kept on talking and saying words that i'm not even saying for my everyday life. i kept on having occasional mispronunciations on some words especially if i'm reading out loud and then would just abruptly stop reading and saying the word again correctly. I'm also having this weird feeling within my digestion where if i would swallow foods, i could feel it going down even further around my lower chest/diaphragm area. I also had some muscle twitches on my left cheekbones and experiencing some unusual amount of salivation.

Yes, i know that i sound like i have health anxiety and i really do but my main purpose of creating this thread was i also wanted to know especially to those who really have bulbar onset ALS right now about their progression. what were the first symptoms they felt, did it became worst for just days or weeks, do they also experienced of mispronouncing words while talking/reading but saying it correctly afterwards etc.

wanted to know more about ALS and what anxiety can mimic of symptoms similar to bulbar ALS. I just want some answers from those who knows more about this type of disease or those who are experiencing it as well. I can't afford making an appointment with a doctor since i'am still a student, i have no money plus if i would try to say to my mom that i wanted to go for a checkup, she will just probably gave me a "what the f*** are you saying?" type of response. if only i could just immediately go for a checkup on anytime that i want but i can't. Kind of helpless right now.

And to add up an additional concern, the left side of my tongue looks a bit slanted or smaller.

Last edited by a moderator:
You truly must see a doctor - asking this from people with a terminal illness is not very nice.
You don't have a single ALS symptom, but you need to talk to your mother and get help dealing with your fears.
Please don't keep posting here, it is very bad for your health.

You don't have ALS, but as you say, you are deep in anxiety. At your school, there should be a counselor, teacher or clinic that can help. Even a trusted friend can often help you see things right. Google your city and "health anxiety." There is also a No More Panic forum on line.

We are not going to get into what bulbar ALS looks like because you don't have it and that would only feed your anxiety, but as to your question about whether anxiety can mimic symptoms, the answer is yes. The mind is very powerful. It can get you through a tough exam or event, but it can also trick your body into thinking it is breaking down. It is not.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you so much, everyone. I've just stumbled upon other people who posted here as well that has a bit of a similar situation from mine. i'm just scared of dying in a young age but what can i do if its the time already. I would also apologize if i happened to cause some distress to others. I will just try my best to deal with these weird symptoms that i'm having right now but i would still do some observations for the next few days and probably talk less out loud to see if there will be some improvements.

OR follow our advice and get help, talk to your mum and see a doctor or counsellor through school.
It is your choice, but please stay away from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back