Learn about ALS
Country
Ire
State
Cork
City
Ireland
Hey everyone,

Sorry to roll a few eyes at the"do I have als question" but I'm a little bit worried and possibly over thinking everything but for the last 16 months I've had symptoms, my daughter was premature due to preclampsia and I was really ill. I have hyperreflexia I put it down to preclampsia but I still have it. I get occasional blurry vision. My left arm is very weak I find it hard to lift or grasp things and my left leg is also weak with nerve issues if I touch my foot I get a shooting pain at the back of my knee it's odd. My back and hips are severe and stiff and I find it hard to walk. I've had a mri for suspected ms but It came back clear but I'm waiting to see a neurologist so he may need to do more tests. I'm extremely fatigue but it's more in my brain like its shutting down is this a als symptom or is it nothing to worry about? I know I could still have ms but I fear als so I really need some reassurance on what the possibilitys are.

Thanks guys x

No, you don't.

"ALS may be suspected whenever an individual develops insidious loss of function or gradual, slowly progressive, painless weakness in 1 or more regions of the body, without changes in the ability to feel, and no other cause is immediately evident."
[https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1170097-clinical ]

ALS is the dismantling of the motor neuron system. No shooting pain, blurry vision. Not feeling, it's failing. If you find it hard but still can lift or grasp things then you don't have clinical ("real") weakness. See the neuro for a more in-depth evaluation, but no ALS in what you describe.

Last edited:
Thank you, anxiety is a horrible thing when you know there's something wrong and you fear the worst. I hope your doing OK

Yes, we tend to think of the worst possible outcomes. Coupled with anxiety or depression you have a form of cognitive distortion, like catastrophizing. Try to
stay away from obsessing about ALS or MND, it’s an extremely unlikely diagnosis in your case.
I’m mostly all right, thank you.
All the best! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back